Ups / Newegg is sneaky =_=

Gr4vitas

Congrats on the new hard drive.

Computers read drives in binary, while the box is advertised in base-10. So 640GB in base-10 is 640,000,000,000 / 1024 / 1024 /1024 = 596.046GB in binary

Confusing? Yes. But you're still getting all the bytes on the box... technically! :lol:

Not confusing, I'm a computer engineer lol. I just didn't know the manufacturer used base-10.

Edit: And thanks everyone for the clarification!

It's funny how we all have a weird experience with the brown men. Sometimes FedEx too I guess.

Edited by Gr4vitas

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so all of the *cough* average Americans could better understand where they derive the number, maybe? I know plenty of people who would wonder why they bought a 596 GB hard drive when 640 sounds so much... simpler. Then again, it is simpler. I blame the over-educated computer nerds of eras past for this madness.

lol now adays since I have a dog that barks the moment the UPS guy or anyone is at the door I doubt he'll ever be able to sneak up on me again.

You know thats another thing, we do have dogs and they bark at EVERYTHING I feel like punting them across the room sometimes. So I have no idea how the brown man snuck up onto my porch and dropped the package.

I wonder if they go to ninja school. Or you have to complete intense ninja training before you can be a certified brown man. :ph34r:

You know thats another thing, we do have dogs and they bark at EVERYTHING I feel like punting them across the room sometimes. So I have no idea how the brown man snuck up onto my porch and dropped the package.

I wonder if they go to ninja school. Or you have to complete intense ninja training before you can be a certified brown man. :ph34r:

Brown what can ninjas do for you.

They do stuff like that to me every once in a while. Just a couple weeks ago, it was 5:30 and I still hadn't received my package. I gave UPS a ring, and the woman assured me it would be dropped off. As soon as she said that, the guy pulls up. Its like they KNOW!

Nah, they are just very strong and push their trucks while its in Neutral when they get close. :ph34r:

You'd be very strong too if you had to carry all them boxes around!

If you leave a plate of cookies and milk outside you can sometimes catch them! They got like Popeye forearms, it's cr-r-r-r-r-aaazzzy! :O

I think that must be the norm with the home delivery drivers. My current driver doesn't even bother to ring the doorbell because he knows my evil golden retriever will let me know when he's here. By the time I get to the door, it's nothing but tail lights....and I'm normally in the same room as the front door!

This is completely alien to me. For the last couple of decades I got all of my packages delivered at work. The commercial drivers would hang around, chat, feed biscuits to the dog....I knew my driver's name, his wife's name, his kids, their hobbies. All of the things you learn with five or six minute conversations five days a week for decades. Now that I'm retired and getting my weekly DVD, dog food and coffee shipments delivered to the house, it's a different story. All I know about my home delivery driver is that he can sprint from his truck to my porch and back again in less time than it takes me to get across my living room.

I think someone should set a snare and catch one of those little ups guys.. I know he would be tough as nails but surely if you interrogate him long enough he would give up their secrets as to how they are so sneaky

PS. Their brown shorts are funny.