Ups / Newegg is sneaky =_=

Gr4vitas

Hard drive manufacturers are little . when it comes to that. They calculate space based on multiples of 10, where as the OS uses 1024 :ph34r: Sneaky little . I tell 'ya!

So basically I lose 50gigs of space O_o

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont you guys have to Sign for stuff like that??

I know whenever I order anything online bar from Play.com, I have to sign for the package, or it gets taken back to the depot. (Very annoying! Dont hear the bell sometimes, and then have to either drive there to get it, or wait a couple days)

I live on campus and last year they switched it so that all packages go right to the campus post office which is about a half mile from my apartment. Very inconvenient.

I know right!

-----------

Might as well ask here, just got this baby installed and went to computer > manage > disk management and assigned a drive letter and such so I can use my new drive.

My question is, it only shows that I have like 590gigs of space when it should be 640gigs, I tried to deleted the volume and re format re create it like 20 times and it wont show my full 640 gigs whats the dilleo?

It has to do with the way Windows represents a GB and the way HDD manufacturers represent a GB. It is very deceiving.

Okay I just got it to show 610gigs maximum room. But after its formatted I have 596gigs not 610. If I delete the volume and make it a clean slate it shows I have 596gigs unallocated then I format and it says I have 610gigs free after which I only still have 596gigs

Don't worry, you didn't lose 50 gigs of space, you never had it to begin with! :P

Lol this is true. But seriously isn't that like false advertisement. I mean that's quite a bit off from what you get. They should have some kind of notice / disclamer that says "Hey we're retarted and calculate our gigs differently than 100% of the rest of the world so your actually getting about 50gigs less than what you think you are."

idk how i do it but i always get lucky when the UPS guy is getting ready to pull off i pull in and block him in.....its weird i get here just in time to not miss them

Lol this is true. But seriously isn't that like false advertisement. I mean that's quite a bit off from what you get. They should have some kind of notice / disclamer that says "Hey we're retarted and calculate our gigs differently than 100% of the rest of the world so your actually getting about 50gigs less than what you think you are."

It's not false advertising. If you complained to them they would probably point you to there fine print on there website about hard drive space.

It's not false advertising. If you complained to them they would probably point you to there fine print on there website about hard drive space.

It says on the box too.

I hate that they use base 10 counting. I would have thought all the lawsuits years ago would have gotten them to change the way they market them. <_<

Congrats on the new hard drive.

Computers read drives in binary, while the box is advertised in base-10. So 640GB in base-10 is 640,000,000,000 / 1024 / 1024 /1024 = 596.046GB in binary

Confusing? Yes. But you're still getting all the bytes on the box... technically! :lol:

Edited by LoArmistead

It says on the box too.

I hate that they use base 10 counting. I would have thought all the lawsuits years ago would have gotten them to change the way they market them. <_<

One could argue though because OEM drives don't come in a box.

I guess its just one more way for hard drive company's to cuts costs.