What's The Best Software to Clone OS From 1 HDD to 2nd

MINDSCI

I'm upgrading my PC's to Velociratptors... On a few, I would just like to be able to use a GUI based- eg. for dummies- Cloning software that works FLAWLESSLY.

Thanks for any help!

True Image gets my vote, however it failed to complete it's "system secure" on my system. The cloning feature works great though.

Vista Ultimate 64

Acronis True Image without doubt, been using it since version 8.0, they now have Version 2009 which I believe would have been version 12 if they kept straight numbering. Brilliant software, very easy to use with loads of extra features - in particular the try&decide option, which creates a secure zone on your HDD to trial software/settings etc, without changing your system. Industry standard and well recommended.

You can download a free trial to give it a spin

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

Edited by Great_Gig

I've used Acronis True Image and would agree that it's a fine piece of software but for the guy that just wants to upgrade to a new drive what's wrong with the free software that comes from the drive vendors for this purpose? I think I've used them all at one time or another and never had a problem.......just wondering :lol:

I used SeaGate DiscWizard too, when I got my Seagate 1.5 TB. But for some werid reason my PC would go to sleep mode during the process even thought it did it outside of Windows. I had to press spacebar everytime it stopped, so made the process longer. It might just be me though.

Edited by Krazyxazn

I've been using the free program Clonezilla. It's linux based, and works fine on NTFS. As a matter of fact I used it to backup my laptop to a network server just this week, so I can vouch for its functionality on Vista Home Premium. They have an easy utility to make a bootable flash drive or of course you can download a bootable disk ISO. In any event, it starts up with a wizard that walks you through exactly what you want to do, and if you want to do disk-to-disk, it will get the job done. If you're feeling adventurous, the network backup options are nice, with the capability of writing your image file to an NFS, FTP or other network server.

Acronis and Ghost are also excellent imaging solutions. Ghost is my favorite, but it's expensive and the reliability is just ok. Acronis has a nice GUI and works great as well, but I'm not sure about it being free or not.

I say Acronis as well

the only time it will NOT work is if you want to move your OS to a partition on a partitioned drive..

2009 will NOT do it...it wants to clone the "Disk" as it is...

I just went through this yesterday...

I wanted to clone my OS that was on a 640gb drive that was split into 80/520 with the OS being on the 80gb and back ups being on the 520 side...

I wanted to clone the OS to another 640gb drive that was split 200/400 and it wouldnt do it....

No I do believe 2007 would do it as I remember is asked you which drive you wanted to clone and you clould pick C:/ as the source...so i have to check on that...

BUT if it's a straight up clone of the OS drive to another drive then yes by all means use Acronis...I have used it several times...