Sign in to follow this  
TheJew540

Phase cooling questions

ok so Im interested in phase cooling and I have no clue where to begin to start heres my system

Phenom II 940

Asus M3A79-T Deluxe

2GB 1066 Dominator

Seagate 500 GB HDD

Crossfired Asus 4870's 1Gb

Tagan ITZ 1300 Watt PSU

Nzxt Apollo

So what should I look at or start with?

Is there anyting not super huge?

I looked around and everything looks like a whole extra case

Where should I start?

Edited by TheJew540

ok so Im interested in phase cooling and I have no clue where to begin to start heres my system

Phenom II 940

Asus M3A79-T Deluxe

2GB 1066 Dominator

Seagate 500 GB HDD

Crossfired Asus 4870's 1Gb

Tagan ITZ 1300 Watt PSU

Nzxt Apollo

So what should I look at or start with?

Is there anyting not super huge?

I looked around and everything looks like a whole extra case

Where should I start?

Phase Change cooling is alot of fun, but be prepared to throw practicality out the window. For today's chips, an off the shelf unit (Vapochill LS), does not have the capacity to handle the heat load the newer quads put out. Your best bet is to find someone who is capable of building a unit specific to your needs. I would expect to pay in the $600-$1000 range for a good custom single stage cooler. Used units can be bought much cheaper but there's too many variables when purchasing a used cooler.

Most phase systems are self contained in their own cases. It's possible to have a builder install a custom cooler in the case of your choice for one self contained system, but it's going to require a large case with very good ventilation. I've built systems into Lian-Li V2000B cases, and they turn out very well but they are quite a pain to build. Your looking at a very premium price to have this done so be prepared.

Now...if you are going to be running this system 24/7 then I wouldn't recommend phase-change cooling. The noise and extra power the system draws often makes it impractical for a 24/7 setup. If you are a hardcore bencher then I would strongly recommend a single stage cooler.

BTW: I've been dealing with phase change coolers for many many years now, so feel free to PM or ask any question you would like. I've used OEM systems like the LS and Mach GT, modded systems like my current LS, and custom made single / dual cascade systems.

I have a question. I'm a techy kind of guy, and I would looove it if you could point me somewhere that explains exactly how the phase change system works? I mean like really how it works.. the more equations the better!

Edited** i didn't have my coffee and though we were talking nehalems...any way. 940's on a good cascade will prolly be hitting ~5.5ghz.

Edited by battery

the nehalem's have a cold bug issue. i believe i've seen 5.7ghz from fugger on his cascade getting -100C, but that was a cherry picked chip that intel gave him before those processors were even out yet. he hit 5ghz with it on air.

Just wanted to point out that he has a Phenom II, not a Nehalem.

I have a question. I'm a techy kind of guy, and I would looove it if you could point me somewhere that explains exactly how the phase change system works? I mean like really how it works.. the more equations the better!

Pretty sure it's just a refrigerator, or at least very similar. Reading up on refrigeration units should give you a pretty good idea of how they -work. It's just an evaporator system.

EDIT: Here

Nuclear is back from the dead

Haha, I've been posting on OCC again for a few weeks. I figured it was time to come out of retirement :)

Pretty sure it's just a refrigerator, or at least very similar. Reading up on refrigeration units should give you a pretty good idea of how they -work. It's just an evaporator system.

You are correct. Single stage phase change coolers are actually very simple in the way they work. Most of them use between 1/4HP and 1HP compressors (1HP being the top end custom single stage coolers) and small sized condensors (think single 120 or 140MM size) along with evaporators specifically designed for cpu cooling. I would recommend that anyone who is interested in phase change cooling take a look at the phase change cooling section over a XS, it's full of information and there are quite a few builders who regularly post over there.

I quit building units for my own use some time ago. It's much easier to have someone build them for me and it keeps me from worrying about the certifications needed to purchase the various gases. I still use my modded Vapochill LS almost daily and it's always a joy to play with. Getting into phase change cooling brought my overclocking into another world. It's still fun to play with high end air and water cooling, but going phase change is just as much fun as it is expensive.