TRUE 120 or something else?

It seems that the TRUE 120 is the favorite cooler around here, and I'm thinking of getting one. I heard though, that you need to lap it because it isn't flat, then after that you need to do some mods to get it to fit because of the amount that you sanded off. If that is the case, then I feel it isn't worth the trouble, and I would like some other recommendations.

while the TRUE may be the best performance when lapped, it's still a great competitor straight out of the box. lapping is for people that want to squeeze every little bit of performance out of their coolers, and isn't the end-all-be-all of the TRUE's performance.

that said, the Xigmatek rifle cooler is on par with the TRUE and is a little smaller mounted in case you don't have copious amounts of room in your case, and the xigmatek is cheaper too!

wouldn't the S1284 outperform the TRUE since the S1283 is on par with it?? Especially in the case of a quad since the 4 heat pipes would spread evenly over the two sets of dual cores?

I need to lap my TRUE, I currently am 60C on 24/7 folding load but that's with my Ultra Kazes on the absolute lowest speed they'll run without turning off. The temps might be lower if I turn up the fans. Voltage is set to 1.55v (1.44v actual) @ 4.0ghz

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Be careful lapping a TRUE, and if you do then you may want to plan on lapping your IHS as well. The TRUE is designed to not be perfectly flat due to variations in chip IHS, they planned on you having a not so flat IHS and designed around that. I've seen plenty of times with other builds and mine where temps increased after lapping only the TRUE because the contact patch became messed up until I flattened my IHS.

This may not be true for everyone, but I know the TRUE was designed this way so take for its worth.

Be careful lapping a TRUE, and if you do then you may want to plan on lapping your IHS as well. The TRUE is designed to not be perfectly flat due to variations in chip IHS, they planned on you having a not so flat IHS and designed around that. I've seen plenty of times with other builds and mine where temps increased after lapping only the TRUE because the contact patch became messed up until I flattened my IHS.

This may not be true for everyone, but I know the TRUE was designed this way so take for its worth.

do you think it'd be worth voiding my processors warranty?

do you think it'd be worth voiding my processors warranty?

Can you afford to get a new one if you fry it? If so, yes, if not... then depends on how brave you are. I lapped my Phenom II (it helped quite a bit) and was scared as hell, but without much protection (no wrist band, just held it by the edges rather than using the plastic case, etc.), and I still had no issues. So, I dunno, I was stupid to be so careless but computer parts are a lot hardier than most think... takes direct magnet to screw up the boards in my experience.