Repaired my RROD on my 360

crash

Hey guys, I finally got around to repairing my RROD 360. It was pretty easy, all that was required was removing the motherboard from the case, removig the HS from the CPU and GPU and using bolt-through method instead of the X-Clip that MS used. Here are some pics.

The fan attached to the CPU HS was added to provide some extra cooling.

P1020561.jpg

Both GPU and CPU Heatsinks are tapped so it was very easy to bolt-through. I originaly tried using spring-screws off a XP-90, (sckt A mounting I think,) but there was not enough clearance b/w mobo and backplate. Machine screws worked better anyways.

P1020565.jpg

Notice how the fan shroud is missing from the unit- this was apparently a refurb from MS as stated in the ebay listing but I can't imagine a vital part like a fan shroud to be missed upon QC?

P1020562.jpg

I added a three-pin connector so it would be easy to remove/replace the extra fan. I just stripped the wires down and stuck them into the appropriate pins on the Male power connector and then plugged it in ensuring that the wires could not come into contact with anything. Before putting everything back together I allowed the GPU to overheat for a few minutes to ensure the solder points were solid.

The console works flawlessly now but without the fan shroud it overheats after 2-3 mins playing a game, (GPU overheats.) If I use another auxillary fan on the GPU I can play as long as I want. Another fan shroud cost me $15 off ebay, however I am planning to build a custom enclosure for the guts anyways. I was thinking plexi? If anyone is good at that kind of thing maybe post here and let me know if it's a viable option?

crash

Edited by crash

cool but just so you know if you go online with a modded system (even voltage wise) M$ is ban you. so those cool cases with leds and such....all ban (stupid M$). otherwise great work!

Great job

What did you end up using for thermal paste?

How would MS know that you modded your case or added LEDs without actually seeing it?

I'm pretty sure they can only detect firmware updates, but then again I don't know a whole lot about the workings of an xbox so I could be wrong.

How would MS know that you modded your case or added LEDs without actually seeing it?

Microsoft phone home.

They can (I'd assume) detect modifications to the hardware side.... as far as simple modding the case, I don't think they'd se that unless they added some kind of "case alarm" type feature that they could check on to see if the case had been opened. Though it wouldn't surprise me if every time you connected to XBL if MS didn't send a snapshot of system configurations, voltages, etc.

cool but just so you know if you go online with a modded system (even voltage wise) M$ is ban you. so those cool cases with leds and such....all ban (stupid M$). otherwise great work!

Quite the 360 skeptic, aren't we? :thumbs-up:

I think we're really talking about different things here. I can't even fathom how MS would know that you changed the case on your 360. Sure, if you put a mod chip in or change firmware/BIOS, that's one thing. But adding a fan and changing the case? Yeah I really doubt they can detect that.

If there was a "case opened" sensor, I think we'd know about it by now. This certainly wouldn't be the first time someone's cracked open a 360 case. :rolleyes:

I highly doubt Microsoft can detect anything on your 360, other than if you played games before they released (ie by getting them by other means) and firmware. Or if someone reports you if your hacking/modding in an online game (halo or gears of war). There is no sensor that Microsoft has to notify them that a 360 case has been opened. Other than the warranty stickers. No way they know anything, other than from user reports or from your Xbox Live! account info.

You could mod the hell out of your 360 ins and outs and you will not get banned. I doubt that sites that sell these case mods for the 360 would even be there, if case modding got you banned from Live! I have personally never seen an article ever stating that case modding your 360 will get you banned from Xbox Live! So for those who say you can get banned for case modding, please prove me wrong.

Edited by Krazyxazn

eh i duno, i'm thinking of just fan modding a console for once and see if it becomes banned. i'll report back when the fan comes in.

no i'm not wasting a good 360, it's a junker i got a while back on ebay because every few days it gives me RROD than back to normal again. already openned..

Edited by hornybluecow