Sign in to follow this  
TheJew540

Can you get the Phenom 940 3.8 Stable on air?

So I have my phenom II 940 @ 3.63 stable and I can run prime and the stress test that comes with AMD overdrive for 12 plus hours but I would like to get it up to 3.8 is that even poss. on air? The temps are right after an hour of L4D

Oh and how can I get my 1066 ram to run @ 1066?

Computer_SS1.bmp

Edited by TheJew540

you know if those are the max temps you get wide open and are still stable go for it. see what it will do.

Just step it up slowly. ^_^

Oh and what heatsink are you running?

Edited by boinker

My 940 BE can run at 3.8GHz with the NB @ 2.6Ghz, HT @ 2.2GHz, and RAM @ 1066 quite easily...all on air with a Scythe Ninja Mini and an ASUS M4A79 Deluxe M/B. I'm stable at 4.0GHz but I'm forced to run the NB @ 2.2GHz, HT @ 1.8GHz, and the RAM @ 1066. At 3.8GHz I need about 1.45v and 4.0GHz I need about 1.5v.

I'm installing a new WC loop in my Antec 300 now and I hope to run 4GHz+ 24/7 once everything is up :)

My 940 caps out at 3.6 GHz. I'm sure I could get a few MHz more with some tweaking, but temps seem to stop me from going higher. I blame a crappy soldering job on the IHS. Temps just don't drop no matter what tweaks and mounting changes I use.

Depends on your chip /shrug.

I can't even boot at 3.8. I can boot fine at 3.7, 3.75, and 3.78. Once I try to jump to 3.8, no Vista boot. I can't get 3.7 stable but that's due to temps.

I can't even boot at 3.8. I can boot fine at 3.7, 3.75, and 3.78. Once I try to jump to 3.8, no Vista boot. I can't get 3.7 stable but that's due to temps.

I have done a lot of testing with the 940 BE and different boards, and I can tell you that your number one stopper in reaching a high overclock is temps. These chips are only happy at 50C or below, they will run at 51-55C but not easily and not very stable. I have tested the default speeds at 1.55v vcore to really load the temps and every time the chip hit over 50-51C, it failed OCCT.

If you can get past the temp issue and keep them low enough the chip responds very well to minimal tweaks. I've found that running the SB & HT at 1.28v, the CPU-NB at 1.375v, disabling all spread spectrums, and disabling C1E will get you well into the higher ranges with a simple vcore and multi bump.

Also, have you tried tweaking the NB yet? In my testing a NB bump of about 200MHz equates to ~100MHz of overall CPU speed. My 940 at 3.8GHz with the NB @ 2.8GHz performs the exact same as it does at 4GHz with the NB at 2.4GHz. In both cases the HT was left at 2GHz. Tweaking these systems are so much fun because there are so many areas you can improve. Overall clock speed doesn't mean a whole lot anymore, its a combination :)