OCC Ex-Folding Members

paulktreg

I suppose you have to take the whole "Folding@Home" concept at face value and hope you are doing some good.

Do people actually really check the programs they are running. It could be Skynet running simulations on how to wipe the human race out a couple of years down the road! :lol:

No they ran Skynet last month, we are doing something different this one...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped folding because

1. I can't get the F@H SMP to work on vista.

2. The cost of electricity.

3. Running the computer all the time causes a lot of dust to build up in the case and I have to clean it up all the time.

4. Running the GPU client means I have to run the GPU fan on a higher speed which causes it to ware out faster.

5. Running the computer all the time causes the case fans to ware out faster.

6. Running the computer all the time causes the hard drives to ware out faster.

7. I don't have to money to replace worn out parts like I use to.

Reasons 4-7.... Are ya serious?

Reasons 4-7.... Are ya serious?

Yes

4. The stock fans that come with video cards are cheap and they ware out quickly. I have replace video card heat sinks in the past and a couple of times I almost broke the card because the thermal tape has such a strong hold on the card.

7. My attitude towards replacing parts has change over the years. When I first started building computers if something broke replacing it was no problem. Know I tend to what my hardware to last until the newest hardware comes out and then I replace it.

I'll be back to F@H shortly on my Q6600, my 8800 GTS, and my server which is running a Skt. 939 dual-core.

when I put F@H on pause, as a team we were ranked #27 - and now we're #35! that's suck-tacular and needs fixin!

I'm sorry I havent been doing my part. :(

Well, I hate to say it but my electricity bills have been cut in HALF since I stopped folding! In the end I couldn't justify the extra costs to my wife so slowly my rigs were turned off at night and then FAH was shut down. I was pretty choked cause I was just starting to use the GPU clients and was stoked about 40,000+ pp week!