OC Noob

Hello, first time OC'er here... just got my q9650 today and thought I'd give it a go...

1. First boot with default bios:

idle temps = 26-31 degrees C

idle vcore = 1.3v

load temps = 44-51

load vcore = 1.22v

DRAM frequency = 333 timings = 5-6-6-15

2. First OC:

FSB=360x9=3240

vcore=manual=1.2375v

DRAM=720(1:1) voltage=manual=1.85 timings=5-5-5-15

typical disabling of extraneous mobo settings.

idle temps = 25-31

idle vcore = 1.18 - 1.2

load temps = 41-47

load vcore = 1.12

Result: successful.

3. Second OC:

FSB=400x9=3600

vcore=manual=1.25v

DRAM=800(1:1)

everything else left as is.

Result: wouldn't boot into windows. When I went back into bios it wouldn't let me manually set the vcore anymore, 'auto' was my only option. I set the FSB back to 360, saved and exited and went back into bios, I could then manually set the vcore again. This booted into windows just fine as before.

4. Third OC:

FSB=380x9

vcore=manual=1.2375

DRAM=760(1:1)

everything else left as is.

Result: wouldn't boot into windows, but got a lot closer than the last attempt. When I went back into bios it wouldn't let me manually set the vcore anymore, 'auto' was my only option. I set the FSB back to 360, saved and exited and went back into bios, I could then manually set the vcore again. This booted into windows just fine as before.

Obviously there's some problem here as the q9650 shouldn't 'max' out at a 3.24 OC!! Any ideas?? During the third OC attempt while it was trying to boot into windows I got an error, something like, "can't load (or find?) the specified file: <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe". I had a couple weird windows issues last time I OC'd (see the first post in this thread), ie: I had to reinstall Avast antivirus and my ftp program wouldn't connect to my web server anymore (both internet related?) Anyways, I don't think these are the reasons why the OC isn't working right? Should I do a windows repair?

Thanks a bunch, your time is appreciated!

First of all why did you jump your FSB from 360 to 380?

I'd try a setting of 370 for FSB and maybe 1.3 for VCore. If this doesn't work you can try with 1.4V.

If a FSB of 370 works go up to 375, If it doesn't work and you cannot change your VCore, save your settings put the FSB back to 375 and increase the VCore.

You can also try decreasing your Multi and increasing the FSB more.

(If you need more help let me know)

A few more things. Not the least of which is what are your system specs.

1. What kind of ram are you using?

2. Your CPU may very well max out at 3.2GHz. Every chip is different and while it is unlikey you may be the owner of an unlucky chip.

3. What kind of cooling are you using?

4. What are you using to monitor your temps?

5. Is the ram voltage set at what the RAM is rated?

6. Is the PCIe frequency locked at 100?

7. Have you disabled spread spectrum?

8. What MOBO are you using?

9. Have you tried loosening your RAM timings?

Aye, we need system specs to help you more. However... do not start with such tight timings, and like taco said, ensure your RAM is using the manufacturer's advertised voltage.

I apologize... when I registered for this forum I inputted my system specs so I thought they'd be visible...

Q9650 in Asus P5B with Xigmatek HDT-S1283 HSF

4 x 2Gb GSkill DDR2 800 rated: 5-5-5-15 1.8 - 1.9v

Quadro FX 1500 GPU

Antec 500w Earthwatts

The reason I jumped from 360 to 380 it because this chip should be able to do 400 in it's sleep so I didn't feel the need to make such small steps at first.

4. I'm using Real Temp and CPUID to monitor my temps.

5. Yes, I set the RAM voltage to 1.85, on the RAM packaging it says 1.8-1.9v.

6. Yes, the PCIe frequency is set to 100.

7. Yes, I disabled Spread Spectrum.

9. No, in all the noob OC guides I read they never mentioned that... they all said to just enter the RAM specs?!?

Thanks for your help!

What about motherboard?

Your RAM I dont think is the culprit, you're running it slower than spec.

When you succeeded in an overclock, did you keep note of your temps? What were they like?

The reason I jumped from 360 to 380 it because this chip should be able to do 400 in it's sleep so I didn't feel the need to make such small steps at first.

Run Prime95 at the 3.2. Do you run into any errors?

You probably can get to 400 FSB, but don't assume you can. There are unlucky chips that cannot OC at all.

As for that 20FSB jump, NO, overclocking takes time and precision you cannot rush it. What you need to do is start at 360 and increase your FSB by increments of 5. Once you get to where you cannot boot, bump up the voltage ( so if you're using 1.2V try 1.25-1.4). Continue this as much as you want, but don't put the voltage above 1.55V.

After you've gone as far as you can with this lower your Multipltiplier from 9 to 8. You should then be able to increase your FSB more.

If you this doesn't work or you run into more trouble let me know.

Result: successful.

What does that mean??

Booted windows fine? or ran Prime95/IBT and passed??

You dont mention raising the northbridge voltage, which I think on that board is called something like FSB voltage or something? You will likely have to raise this and play with GTL's also to get best results.

1st thing is to run memtest or P95 on the 360x9 settings to make sure that its stable, if try some changes and retest or co back to stock and test to make sure its stable. This is to have a solid base of where you know its stable

And yes the recent Q9650's will do 400 in there sleep, or at stock voltages. The best board for 500FSB is the Gigabyte UD3R/P as it holds the world records

Edited by SpeedEuphoria