Re-lubing Sleeve bearings

a93j202k

Lubing your fan bearings is pointless imo. The time you spend getting all the lubricants, tools, and the time to take it apart, etc. I would rather buy the new fan. If you're smart you will realize that we can always buy things with money, but money can be replenished, where as your time to do these things cannot. I'd rather do something I want to do and spare 4 dollars on a fan than waste an afternoon and collect yet another can of single-purpose substance. Save yourself the energy.

lol dude.

Lubing doesn't take much time.

All you need to do is peel off the sticker and put in a couple drops os oil.

Besides...what would you do in that time anyway? :P

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lubing your fan bearings is pointless imo. The time you spend getting all the lubricants, tools, and the time to take it apart, etc. I would rather buy the new fan. If you're smart you will realize that we can always buy things with money, but money can be replenished, where as your time to do these things cannot. I'd rather do something I want to do and spare 4 dollars on a fan than waste an afternoon and collect yet another can of single-purpose substance. Save yourself the energy.

Its not about the cost but the hassle of waiting for a fan in the mail or of driving down to the local computer store and overpaying for a fan. I think your thoughts are a little short sighted as money is not the answer for every problem. The satisfaction of fixing something gives a higher feeling of satisfaction and of accomplishment. Thats why I will always have a job I guess. I can fix things and save my money for things that cant be fixed.

I prefer to use an engine prelube..you can buy it at any auto parts store and it's cheap...I build engine so I have it laying around every where...

Hey nice tip, I some assembly lube here and have been thinking about lubing some fans. I was going to dig and try to find some oil I had from electric RC car motors, but will try the assembly lube.

Don't get me wrong... I know money isn't everything here. In fact I spend countless hours working on my motorcycle and going over things etc.. The only reason I do that is 1. shops charge a ridiculous amount to do nothing 2. the sentimental value of working on it and 3. The time you put in is going to add to the good experience later on when you ride it. Now, I don't believe that any of those 3 things have anything to do with the lubing of a FAN... people... its a measly fan. When I order parts off the web I know I get them the next day or 2. And really, is a fan going to stop you from going on your PC? It's not like you took out the video card! I could probably take out every fan in my system except the exhaust and have it run perfectly fine. So don't say the time to "wait" on a fan to get there I mean think about it for a second. Sounds plain dumb to me. Do whatever you please, but I just feel it's a waste of time.

Don't get me wrong... I know money isn't everything here. In fact I spend countless hours working on my motorcycle and going over things etc.. The only reason I do that is 1. shops charge a ridiculous amount to do nothing 2. the sentimental value of working on it and 3. The time you put in is going to add to the good experience later on when you ride it. Now, I don't believe that any of those 3 things have anything to do with the lubing of a FAN... people... its a measly fan. When I order parts off the web I know I get them the next day or 2. And really, is a fan going to stop you from going on your PC? It's not like you took out the video card! I could probably take out every fan in my system except the exhaust and have it run perfectly fine. So don't say the time to "wait" on a fan to get there I mean think about it for a second. Sounds plain dumb to me. Do whatever you please, but I just feel it's a waste of time.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Time equals money Will it make a difference in performance probably not. Some folks just like to save money and make the attempt. A motorcycle is a different beast all together.

I use chain lube, Tri-Flow with P.T.F.E., heh, it works just fine and SAVED me a trip to the store. LOL, I ride a lot so I have lots of lube hanging around...

WD 40 is a joke for permanent lubing....not to say it won't work for a short time......

If you lube the bearing at the first sign of problems, I mean right away, you stand a much better chance of long term success.....once the clearance on a sleeve bearing gets too far out of spec it ain't gonna help much....

laterzzzz....................