Sign in to follow this  
Onion

2 hard drives as 1 partition...

Before I buy anything, is it possible to run 2 hard drives at once and make them into one large partition without raid? Also, is it possible 2 have 2 separate raid setups on 1 motherboard? For example, 2 raptors, and 2 640AAKS?

The functionality you are looking for is called JBOD, which literally stands for "Just a Bunch Of Disks". Learn more at the bottom of my OCC Raid Guide. B:)

Yes you can use two hard disks as one volume without raid (dynamic disk in XP, not sure about vista). But you cant use it as an OS disk. only a data disk.

Yes you can have multiple raid arrays on one controller, IF your controller supports it. I know the desktops I use at work can do it.

And YES, Geico can save you 15% or more on your car insurance. Wait, was that a question too?

Bah, screw geico, I have state farm! I'm in good hands!

Also, in JBOD, do the 2 discs have to be the same size, or can I put in 2 640 gigs and 3 1.5 tera discs to make a massive partition?

The functionality you are looking for is called JBOD, which literally stands for "Just a Bunch Of Disks". Learn more at the bottom of my OCC Raid Guide. B:)

Spanning == JBOD, correct?

Spanning can generally use whatever drives you throw at it.

Edited by Waco

That's the beauty of JBOD, you can throw together any size drives and it'll just become one large drive that's the aggregate of all the drives.

As the others said, drive size couldn't matter less with JBOD. You can use disks of all sizes together.

I've never heard it called 'spanning' before, but that's probably the same thing. <shrug>

How did no one notice this? You aren't in good hands! That's Allstate! Dennis Haysbert says so!

How did no one notice this? You aren't in good hands! That's Allstate! Dennis Haysbert says so!

*epic facepalm* Meant allstate, sorry lol.

if you creat your partionts into Dynamic and the set the2nd HD as an extended drive. you can do all of this threw computer manager and set it all to the C:\ there fore you wont even notice the 2nd HD or even create it as a folder on your desktop and then it will read it as HD1 and HD2 as total disk space as opposed to seperate disks. I think in a spannded environment sets up the HD's as in a RAID without doing so in the initial install of the OS. Therefor you acctually usuing the 2 HD's at the same time but will include the diskspace as a 1 whole. You have to make sure though that the partitions that you creat for spanned are exactly the same size. Once again this is all recommended doing this threw computer manager. Also note that once you creat your HD's into Dynamic Disks you can't revert back to basic disks. If you need any help in doing this pm me and we'll chat threw MSN and I'll walk ya threw it.

Edited by NightHwk

No........ it's..........

Just like your neighbor, State Farm don't care. :rolleyes: