Ummm... Just Wondering

igorek84

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I tried (and succeded) to overclock my Albatron ti4200 w/128MB (my specs are in my signature). The card originally is set to 250/513Mhz. The maximum I could raise it to was 270/586Mhz, and playing at these settings was practically impossible (too many random crap in the game) and no performace increase. Is it normal not to gain any performance when overclocking? and could I overclock my card more and actually be able to play games? I have a stock sink on my Albatron ti4200 which supposably is better than GeForce's stock one.

Thanks

That is quite an increase in speed for the memory. Does it have any extra cooling? If it is overclocked too far without sufficient cooling, the card will end up running slower so it doesn't overheat and get damaged or completely fried.

Well, no the cooling is all stock that came with the card. The sink is a bit bigger than the ones on a regular GeForce Ti4200. I brought all the frequencies to stock since I saw no performance highlights. Still it's just weird... Some people with the same card had done 310/600Mhz so I heard... and I had trouble with 270/586Mhz....ahhh

Edited by igorek84

No, it doesnt have memory heat sink. It only has one big one set up on the GPU. The sink has opennings onto every side (4), so it somewhat covers the memory I suppose... but you're probably right. I think I found my optimal frequencies--->>> WERE: 250/513Mhz NOW: 285/545Mhz. No problems so far with stock cooling. Do you think the problems might occur later?

Thanks

Edited by igorek84

You'll probably end up getting much more out of the core that you will out of the memory. Remember that the exact same core was in all gf4 ti cards, and they ram at 300mhz in the ti4600. However, your card probably came with some rather cheap memory (ti4200's were kind of nototious for that) that won't want to increase too much.

Typically, if the card can make it through a full run of 3dmark01 or 03 without any artifacts, it's stable.