First time builder would love some critiques

johnnyfive

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only computer I have ever bought came with a generic psu, which I ultimately replaced with a rosewill that has worked wonderfully. Will the 750w PCP&C be sufficient for a gtx295? I imagine id need 1kW for dual gtx 295 (not planning on this any time soon, just thinking).

I go to Baylor University in Texas. Im wrapping up my 3rd year of 4 for the PhD program in statistical science.

why not get the 4850x2, it's cheaper than the 285 AND better. (don't believe me?)

Oh I know the 4850X2 is a better card than the 285. I am now considering popping in a 295, though. Expensive, but the best performer from what I can tell. Though I guess if i really wanted to blow some money, i could SLI two 285's

Edited by johnnyfive

Oh I know the 4850X2 is a better card than the 285. I am now considering popping in a 295, though. Expensive, but the best performer from what I can tell. Though I guess if i really wanted to blow some money, i could SLI two 285's

or SLI 2 295's. But if anyone ever is considering a 285 I just point them in the right direction. (4850x2)

I don't ever try to convince someone off of the 295 because it's undeniably the best out there but it's really up to you whether you'd need that much power or not.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I really do appreciate your advice on the 4950X2. I am certainly not rejecting anything at this stage. Since my build is probably a month off or so, I just wanted to thoroughly discuss the options with knowledgeable people!

Why I would consider dropping the green on a 295 is future proofing. I imagine a dual gpu card like that would last me for quite some time before it starts dropping into the mid and low level settings of games. Dropping in a second 295 at a later date should even further extend the max useful life of the rig.

I really do appreciate your advice on the 4950X2. I am certainly not rejecting anything at this stage. Since my build is probably a month off or so, I just wanted to thoroughly discuss the options with knowledgeable people!

Why I would consider dropping the green on a 295 is future proofing. I imagine a dual gpu card like that would last me for quite some time before it starts dropping into the mid and low level settings of games. Dropping in a second 295 at a later date should even further extend the max useful life of the rig.

I generally get whatever is the best deal for price/performance in my resolution level. Because the next gen cards always are much better than the previous gen, it's never as worthwhile to keep a gen old crossfire or SLI over a fair priced current gen card.

For instance there will probably be a 5series ATI or 300 Nvidia series single core that surpasses the 295 (hopefully) and either way the beauty is that you can sell the 4850x2 or 295 when you are ready to move on. I just don't believe in reusing graphics cards since each generation is always a big step from the last.

That's why I recommend the 4850x2 it's like the best muscle for the money and when it's time to upgrade, you wouldn't have wasted that much money on the card, you sell that and then better replacement doesn't cost much (and then continue this process)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I find the most realistic brand of "future-proofing" is being reasonable and buying what you need right now. Then, you can take the cash you would have blown on a mega-ultra-death-GPU and put it in your pocket. Then in a year or two when your reasonable card isn't cutting it anymore, you take that money you saved and buy another reasonable card.

I have found that keeping your machine in the current "mid-range" performance category is easier and cheaper than trying to blow your whole bank account on a top end system that'll last a long time. As an example: What's the difference between an A64 3000+ with a 6600GT and an FX-57 with a 6800Ultra? Not much in today's games. Over time, those generational differences that seem huge become minimal and you'll realize that all that money spent on "future-proofing" didn't put you that much further ahead of the people who spent much less at the same time.

Your welcome and I welcome your welcomes. :blush:

Being my virginal post, wasn't sure whether someone was going to set the pitbulls loose on mee, so just in case, I went out and bought a bone before I posted. The kind replies were appreciated, however, now I've got this damn bone nothing to do with it... suppose I better get my nose pierced so it doesn't go to waste.

PS: 4850x2 is standing up very nicely against other set-ups out there and for some reason, seems to be the most scalable configuration too, but for me personally there's something intriguing about buying a GPU with the new GDDR5 technology. Gadget-grass is always greener on the other side I guess.

If you're on a budget or if value is your main consideration, the 4850x2 is probably the card of choice for any neutral out there.

Buy a dog :P

And a 4850x2! Unless you, in your PhD candidacy, feel like trying your hand at CUDA programming to offload some of your analysis work to your GPU's. Not sure of your coding background, but if you take nVidia's word for it, CUDA programming isnt too tough. Of course, that depends on how linear or not your programming can be... if you cant utilize a hundred cores at once, then your card is purely in your system to render games, in which case forget the nVidia, go for the 4850x2.

Is there a noticeable difference between the 4850 x2 and the 4870 x2? Other than the price difference and the GDDR3 vs GDDR5 (and how big a difference is that?)

There is actually a guy in my department working on getting his nvidia card to work with his simulations.

Edited by johnnyfive

I think it depends on what resolution you think you'll be gaming at. If you're at 1600x1200 then you wont notice much, 1920x1200 you'll notice some, and so forth. For your schoolwork though I still think you should look into CUDA.. or at least go with an nVidia card to leave the possibility for using it open. CUDA on Wikipedia | nVidia CUDA page

Oh and congrats on beating Kansas :P

This may help:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_4850x2/

Even if that particular model's not your cup of tea then ping into a GPU supplier and right click/ google the alternatives. I'd generally suggest a model with a tailor-made cooling solution as they should perform better, hopefully run quieter and for a few dineros more, you can get a pre-overclock so you can jump straight on in and hit 630FPS on Windows Mahjong.