will not overclock higher

Boinker

I set a goal to overclock my current rig to 3.50 ghz. its just a temperary goal while I learn.

So my core voltage is set to 1.525, my multiplier is at 16 and my fsb is at 214. I have atttempted to Overclock the computer further and I am running into Freezes, BSOD's or prime 95 errors out on random core anywhere over settings 1.525 v and fsb 214 fsb. I have stepped .025v at a time to 1.600v, attemped to step up the FSB to 220 to make sure I do not have a deadspot, and I have also attempted to change my fan direction to divert airflow into the case. (being its an antec 900 I moved the rear fan to an intake instead of an exhaust) It has improved the PWM module temps but has not rectified my freeze, bsod, or prime error. I would bump the voltage even further, but the PWM gets well above 90c and I am afraid to move my core volt any higher due to that.

My temps running Prime on large fft are. (NB 25c, Core temps 58/60, PWM 70c) Vcore 1.525 fsb 214 mult 16

If anyone has any advise on how to get closer To 3.5 gig or higher please let me know.

Thanks in advance. Boinker

I set a goal to overclock my current rig to 3.50 ghz. its just a temperary goal while I learn.

So my core voltage is set to 1.525, my multiplier is at 16 and my fsb is at 214. I have atttempted to Overclock the computer further and I am running into Freezes, BSOD's or prime 95 errors out on random core anywhere over settings 1.525 v and fsb 214 fsb. I have stepped .025v at a time to 1.600v, attemped to step up the FSB to 220 to make sure I do not have a deadspot, and I have also attempted to change my fan direction to divert airflow into the case. (being its an antec 900 I moved the rear fan to an intake instead of an exhaust) It has improved the PWM module temps but has not rectified my freeze, bsod, or prime error. I would bump the voltage even further, but the PWM gets well above 90c and I am afraid to move my core volt any higher due to that.

My temps running Prime on large fft are. (NB 25c, Core temps 58/60, PWM 70c) Vcore 1.525 fsb 214 mult 16

If anyone has any advise on how to get closer To 3.5 gig or higher please let me know.

Thanks in advance. Boinker

3.4 is pretty respectable on air...if you're hitting 70c you're gettin up there like Marne said...unless you're willing and able to replace the cpu it might be prudent to put your goal on hold 'till you have an improved cooling solution....that cpu 3.1ghz out of the box right...?? B:)

....that cpu 3.1ghz out of the box right...??
'

Its a 3.20 but thats close enough to call. :lol:

dude lol watch your temps ur gonna fry that bugger

Its been hotter. :D I got the pwm up to about 110C last night on a suicide run. but for the PWM 70c is only 5c hotter then it normally runs at stock in an antec 900 case. I have been calling abit latly attempting to find the PWM temp sensor to Put some air and a better heatsink on it but I havent got a decent awnser. Or any awnser for that matter. Seems I don't have to tell them im overclocking for them to not want to talk. But they seem to think that the PWM can run up to 120C before The damage is done, but of course. Prolonged exposure does what ;) . Ill do what you guys are advising and work on getting my chipset and pwm cooler. then I shall continue. But I dont mind running the cpu up to 65C at full load.

Thanks a bunch,

Boinker

P.S.

"Its about 20'F at night. I'll just stick it outside and have some Fun" :lol:

i was never one to fear voltage, but through my lack of fear i learned to respect it. i ran a barton for over a year at 2v before it died on me. voltage is what kills chips. no amount of cooling will keep the damage from happening. the cooling just allows you to run stable under high voltage settings. and increased voltage increases stability, but with the increased voltage you get increased wear and tear on your processor. with that said, we can carry on. 3.4ghz is very respectable. i would try something a little different. lower you multi down to 6 and try raising your fsb in small steps until you've reached your max stable. see where that gets you and report back.

Can I do that? Only reason I ask is the cpu I have is not a black Edition chip.

and that reminds me. Ill more then likely have a black edition chip next time anyhow.

Thanks for the Direction Battery.

Boinker

Edited by boinker

I know for sure that most motherboards allow you to change the multiplier up if you have a black edition, but I'm not sure if you can lower the multiplier if it is not a black edition. Try it out, for SCIENCE! (FYI my dad has the 6400+ BE on a Zalman and it never goes higher then 30C at stock under load.)

Well that was a nice Idea. But It didn't work at all. I checked all three area's I have to check he Cpu core clock and they came up with a different result. 3.006 - 3.203 and 3.40 wow. then the BSOD and Random reboots came. ohh well. worth a try.

Well that was a nice Idea. But It didn't work at all. I checked all three area's I have to check he Cpu core clock and they came up with a different result. 3.006 - 3.203 and 3.40 wow. then the BSOD and Random reboots came. ohh well. worth a try.

This is something I found on a website called xtreview

The first overclock experiments using athlon 64 X2 6400+ (3.2 GHz) did not bring special any update . Using air cooling , the processor was overclocked to 3.3 GHz, 3.5 GHz was possible using water cooling, and 4.0 GHz was with Peltier ( processor cooling to temperatures close to zero ).

Overclock with powerful air cooler to the majority of potential Athlon 64 X2 6400+ (3.2 GHz) owners is more interesting. Associate Having slightly raised the core voltage relative to default 1.4 v] was able to overclock the processor using the air cooler asus arctic square to 3.57-3.62 GHz.

Edited by RogerDeath

Interesting Find there RogerDeath. I appreciate the info, If my board wasnt so old and prone to getting to hot I think I may have already seen 3.5 (fo mre then 30 seconds) :lol:

Right now I am happy with the overclock I have. i changed a few settings around and am now running at 3.45 ghz at 1.500V on core with air. is stable on Prime 95 for over 2 hours so I am satisfied with it. And the pwm is alot happier now too. B:)

Random Fact about me>

This just one of the things I am begining enjoying now. Overclocking is a great time killer and the tinkering is in the blood for me (anything mechanic sence about 3 years old) so I have fun doing it, seeing just how far I can push it. Time will tell though. this cpu/motherboard setup is almost 3 years old. so it may last another 3, it may not. But Who cares though, Got my moneys worth.

End the worthless random Fact>

But I am going to enjoy every minute of it while I push it to its very last moments. :lol:

welcome to the world of obsessive yet passionate electronic tinkering. before you know it you'll overclock your toaster...who wants to wait 5 minutes for toast when you can have it in 3?