ordered a new computer

jtravapd

Whats up everyone. i'm new to the site. Been building pc's for about 15years now as a hobby. however i took a break from pc's and gaming for about 7 years, Just getting back into it now. Anyway i just ordered a new pc and had the money so i went with everything i ever wanted in a gaming pc. I know some of its overkill but screw it.. Anyway i decided this time to have a company build my pc and overclock it so it will be under warranty. Last time i tried overclocking my pc i killed it. So this time around i was afraid with the money im spending to overclock myself. Anyway after reading some threads in other forums , that some voltage settings and clock settings are just insane, and that using them are just asking for trouble. Would anyone be able to tell me what settings are generally just way too high where i would be asking for trouble? This is my pc i just ordered..

# NTEL, Core

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you'll get an i7 965 but not a raid 0 of ssd's?? you crazy!

welcome to occ....

also why didn't you get a bluray player and a 30" monitor with all that

(and how much did this all cost?)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Your one of those types :D

Well that CPU has an unlocked multiplier so if your lucky you'll be able to make it crazy high.

Good luck :D

BTW

Welcome to OCC

Edited by tacohunter52

Your one of those types :D

Well that CPU has an unlocked multiplier so if your lucky you'll be able to make it crazy high.

Good luck :D

BTW

Welcome to OCC

EDIT: Ivi I think he already bought it all.

I know but I was just making pickin on him :P

I know but I was just making pickin on him :P

Yeah I reread your post and deleted my edit. I thought you were suggesting stuff :lol:

Wait OP

I just reread your post as well.

Are you having someone else OC your computer? Or is this a prebuilt?

A 24 hour stability test is no big deal and the likely hood of anything dying is very very very slim.

If this is a prebuilt(such as alienware) they will not overclock it to its full pottential anyway so no worries.

When you get it I'd run prime95 for an hour just to make sure its stable. Then you should try and OC yourself a little. It will be a good experience, plus you'll be able to push your bad @$$ rig further.

Edited by tacohunter52

you'll get an i7 965 but not a raid 0 of ssd's?? you crazy!

welcome to occ....

also why didn't you get a bluray player and a 30" monitor with all that

(and how much did this all cost?)

like i said man, i been out of the game for awhile now... the last pc i built was a pentium 60..lol..and i was the man on the block because i had 16 megs of ram..4 megs cost me 260 bucks back then....i i didn't get a blue ray player because i have a buffalo 8x external blue ray burner so i was gonna just use that for now. I didn't even look at ssd drives because aren't they still really expensive? i didn't even check to be honest, when i saw the raptor drive i just bought it cause wd was a brand i lived for back in the day and 10k rpm seemed quick for me..(l really dont know anything about which ssd drives are good bad ect., ill prob end up getting some down the line).. as for the monitor i have a 22 inch samsung monitor at home im gonna use just for now until i get another one and run two or getting a bigger one...i got everything for 4100...which is approximately 500 more then if i built it myself..but like i said, i killed my last pc i overclocked so with a 3 year warranty im hoping this one will be good to go..that being said, i want to make sure they aren't gonna over do it with the overclocking so i wasn't sure if you guys would be able to say what is way too much..my thoughts would be depending on how much heat would be generated..but im not sure..i seriously have no clue about overclocking..

Yeah I reread your post and deleted my edit. I thought you were suggesting stuff :lol:

Wait OP

I just reread your post as well.

Are you having someone else OC your computer? Or is this a prebuilt?

A 24 hour stability test is no big deal and the likely hood of anything dying is very very very slim.

If this is a prebuilt(such as alienware) they will not overclock it to its full pottential anyway so no worries.

When you get it I'd run prime95 for an hour just to make sure its stable. Then you should try and OC yourself a little. It will be a good experience, plus you'll be able to push your bad @$$ rig further.

the reason why im having my pc built is because they are gonna overclock it for me...or else id just put it together..the reason is i have had BAD luck with overclocking in the past..i killed a pc, and a video card on a different computer messing around in the past..lol..so id rather not mess with it....

So what will you do when your PC runs into a problem and requires something along the lines of a CMOS reset. Your overclock will be gone and you will resort back to default speeds.

You might want to do some personal testing on that overclock when you receive your computer just to make sure they did in fact test stability correctly.

Edited by damian

So what will you do when your PC runs into a problem and requires something along the lines of a CMOS reset. Your overclock will be gone and you will resort back to default speeds?

thats why i joined the board :blink: lol

the reason why im having my pc built is because they are gonna overclock it for me...or else id just put it together..the reason is i have had BAD luck with overclocking in the past..i killed a pc, and a video card on a different computer messing around in the past..lol..so id rather not mess with it....

It is extremely easy to OC and if you need any help at all you can just ask around the forums. If your paying for suck a sweet rig you really should at least attempt to OC. Because you had it built for you I'm assuming you were charged a build fee. If you built it yourself you could have easily done just a good OC job.

Any way sooner or later you'll feel the Itch, and when you do feel free to ask any questions about overclocking. Or questions about anything you may encounter for that matter.

BTW

When I said one of those types I meant someone who buys a ridiculous computer just because they want to go overkill. :D

Also seriously do not worry about them overdoing the OC. You have to be trying to kill a computer while overclocking to actually do it :D.

I'm sure the most they'll do is a BSCLK change and a minor voltage bump.

Just because you have such a great CPU you should at least try to OC. Seriously that CPU is meant for overclocking Hence the unlocked multiplier.

As for temps don't worry about it. I run my i7 at about 75c 3.5GHz. When I had it above 4GHz it was hitting the 100's. Basically i7's can run hot, and they'll get hot. Also I doubt they'll be doing an OC where temps will be any major concern.

Good luck :thumbs-up: And one day You'll OC again I know it :D