Kids Comp Problems

Duke Atreides

Hello all,

After I built my computer I scavanged some parts from 3 comps and built my kids a computer. Stats are:

AMD 1 Ghz proc

Kilobyte MOBO

256 SDRAM

Gforce 2 400 MMX card

6.2 Gig hard drive

30X cdrom

ethernet pci card

Win 98 SE with all updates loaded

350 watt PSU

The mobo, cpu and tower with PSU are from my old comp, the rest is from my father in law's old comp.

I installed everything and set it up, the pci card runs off a 100' cat6 cable to my router. The computer worked great for a few weeks.

The problem is now the computer wont load windows all the way, it will only load in safe mode and wont access the internet, I have checked everything I could think of, tried only botting with bare essentials, it just gives me error messages and then will boot into safe mode. I don't have the money to buy anything ATM and do not have the windows disc (my son knocked it off and stepped on it :smack: ) Does anyone have any ideas? I messed with it for 2 hours this morning and it is getting frustrating.

win 98 didn't ahve that featue. you will need some sort of windows disk unfortunately. windows 98 sometimes needs a kick in the butt to get going again

yeah, a friend of mine still uses windows 98, and every once in a while it craps out on him and he just reformats and reinstalls.

also, just some words of advice. Make sure you have antivirus software and/or a firewall if you're accessing the internet with that computer. You never know what your kids may accidentally open...completely messin up your comp.

The 256 Ram is pc100 SDRAM, not DDR, (it was scavanged out of my father in law's old comp) The wind 98 I had laying around, but I'll probably get an XP disk and just upgrade the thing. But not until I have the money. That is what pisses me of so much, I built this comp essentially for free from cannibalised systems.

Thanks for the help guys, Ive tried everything posted here, but no dice. Ill let my son go in halves on win xp.