Empire: Total War

LoArmistead

Has any one played it yet?

Great graphics

Great historical period

Great customization

Overall a great concept..

BUT... the retail release is absolutely LOADED with bugs. Google "Empire Total War crashes" and there are hundreds of sites with people on them raging about white screens, desktop crashes, PCs freezing, saves games becoming corrupted, weird noises, severe video lag. The list never ends.

I have been an avid Total War fan ever since Shogun, but this game thus far has been an utter disappointment. The concept is fantastic, the graphics are beautiful, the engine is more refined, and overall the game has a lot of potential, but what on earth is up with them releasing a game that doesn't even work?

I've run into problems like everyone else - the game has frozen a couple of times and I've had to restart my computer. The game will crash to desktop when the Huron declare war on Great Britain after about 15 turns... that I could live with until the next patch...

What I was NOT expecting was for it to ruin my saved campaign. I had a saved campaign as Prussia, 163 turns. I had conquered all of northern Europe, the Americas, GB over the course of three days of playing. I saved constantly fearing the game would crash mid-turn. I had a manual save, the auto-save, and I even did the quick save often. I restarted the game and the computer several times over the course of that three-day campaign. Well, last night, I save the game (auto, quick, and manual), close the game, go outside to do some yard work, come back two hours later, "Continue Campaign," the loading bar loaded about an inch, froze for five seconds, and crashed to desktop... OK. Tried it again. Crashed. Tried loading the manual save. CRASH. Tried loading the quick save. CRASH. Tried loading the autosave. CRASH. So basically my entire campaign that I invested so much time into is gone. 163 turns... :angry2:

I hope they fix this issue in the patch and fix these "corrupted" save files. My gut tells me the corrupt files are going to be a write-off, and the issue will not happen to any files saved subsequent to the patch, in which case I will be very, very disappointed. They pushed the release date back a month, so I assumed they were confident it was playable in its current form. What a bloody shambles. I haven't seen a game so unfit for public release since the initial release of Battlefield 2. And yes that's an insult in the highest order.

For shame, CA, for shame.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had to deal with a lot of crashes of my game. A lotttt. My graphics card would overheat just by looking at the main campaign screen, and I dont have a chump of a system. My game crashes about 50% of the time I play. To be honest, I blame Steam, because I've had nothing but problems from that program ever since I first got it.

That said.... I bloody love the game. Everyone should get it, and I cannot bloody wait for campaign multiplayer. I'm 60-something turns in as Holland (United Provinces) and I'm doing very very well for myself. 3rd in prestige, first to create the First Rates, and wealthier than all but Spain and GB. Taking the provinces of Portugal and Mysore in India were gigantic boosts... I have such a booming trade system that I can exempt every province from taxes and still bring in a couple thousand dollars per turn. With low taxes I take in upwards of 30k per turn, and I only own 8 territories: Sri Lanka, Mysore, Amsterdam, Dutch Guyana, Trinidad, Curacao, Portugal and Frankfurt. Soon I'll be setting off the world war between me and GB against Spain and France.

Bottom line.... I freaking love the game, and its worth the crashes. Everyone go buy it!!

The patch yesterday did a lot to help with the game crashes. I played it last night and it didn't crash at all! How exciting. The save game corruption bug has been addressed, but hasn't been fixed yet. My gut tells me they aren't going to be able to make them playable through a universal patch, so I've just written off my 163 turn saved game, and started another campaign.

I've been meaning to get this game as I've also loved it since Shogun, Rome being my favorite. I just don't have the time with my addiction to L4D and just buying TF2. I'll be busy for a while before I get this. Hopefully everything will be fixed by then.

I just finished Chap 4 of RTI. My only issue is that in the other campaign I have going (England) I have crashes caused by some fleets.

BTW, all of the REALLY serious crash problems seem to be associated with Vista. I am so glad I didn't downgrade from XP.

My crashes have never really affected anything of mine. My auto save still works, so any time I crash, I only lose what I did in the turn. If I'm not mistaken I've crashed while loading from a battle map into the campaign map, and when I reloaded the game it had saved the outcome of the battle, so it hasnt been an issue at all. Also I have Vista 64.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kind of torn on Empire:TW. I absolutely love the new campaign features but the fact that most nations share the same units turns me off to the game. I understand that that was a part of the era, but it still just seems to create a lack of variety in the battle gameplay and for overall replayability. Hopefully the TW community will be quick to mod in new units or switch it into an entirely different era.

I actually think it's MORE diverse. Being able to recruit colonial units, and once you get into Africa, the colonial line infantry there are African natives dressed in your battle jacket. Pretty neat. The barbary pirates have their special melee units (very effective). The Brits have tons of special units. The everyday Elite Guard units, but then you can get the Rangers, Coldstream Guard, the Blackwatch (KILTS!!!), and a few others.

I have a couple questions for you fellow ETW players. Do any of you have a quad core processor, and how fast is it running? Like, time one of your turns, or run a large scale battle at 4x and see your framerate. I ask because I think this game is fairly CPU limited (just a hunch), and I'm wondering what kind of performance increases can be found from a quad core (or an 8 logical core) system.