Sign in to follow this  
psycho_terror

Blu Ray and HDCP

i've been looking at buying a blu ray drive for my pc, but as i was about to pull the trigger today i suddenly remembered HDCP.

i'm pretty sure my graphics card is compatible, but i know my monitor is not, and more importantly neither is my projector. i tried looking it up but ended up pretty confused about the whole thing.

essentially i'm wondering if i can either get around it, or if it still matters at all.

i've been looking at buying a blu ray drive for my pc, but as i was about to pull the trigger today i suddenly remembered HDCP.

i'm pretty sure my graphics card is compatible, but i know my monitor is not, and more importantly neither is my projector. i tried looking it up but ended up pretty confused about the whole thing.

essentially i'm wondering if i can either get around it, or if it still matters at all.

There are devices to add HDCP to displays that don't have it. HDFury comes to mind as a popular one.

There are devices to add HDCP to displays that don't have it. HDFury comes to mind as a popular one.

my god, the prices for those things are ridiculous. :O

i absolutely refuse to pay

How is a monitor not compatible with a bluray drive?

If content protection is enabled on the title, Blu-ray displays HD content down scaled to 480p. It's not that it isn't compatible, it just won't allow it to be seen at it's full resolution.

IMO its another scam to get you to buy more crap lol. also a good way to deter pirates. who wants to spend however long DLing an illegal torrent of whatever bluray movie to find out when they burn it, it

A) fails to load

B) scales at 480p and looks like horsesh!t lol. funny stuff ^_^

If content protection is enabled on the title, Blu-ray displays HD content down scaled to 480p. It's not that it isn't compatible, it just won't allow it to be seen at it's full resolution.

That's just stupid.

IMO its another scam to get you to buy more crap lol. also a good way to deter pirates. who wants to spend however long DLing an illegal torrent of whatever bluray movie to find out when they burn it, it

A) fails to load

B) scales at 480p and looks like horsesh!t lol. funny stuff ^_^

as far as i can see, it actually encourages piracy.

if the HD content was ripped, there would be no copy protection on it at all. this is all starting to sound a lot like PC game copy protection that only inconveniences paying customers.

^^ Exactly.

What I love about all these "protection" methods is that the ONLY person who suffers is the paying customer.

The pirates find ways around ANY copy protection. Its simply a matter of TIME.

HDCP, that really is a scam. All it means is that paying customers have to buy compliant everything. New Graphics card, new Monitor. For what? So studios feel that pirates wont be able to watch the movies? BS.

All that happens is that ppl who cant afford to buy a new monitor, but could afford a Blu-Ray drive, are not going to bother. Instead, they will probably just download a pirate.

NICE move!