Sign in to follow this  
leon0998

Video Card suggestions

I'm looking to upgrade my video card. I need help making a decision. I have Phenom x4 9550 with a GeForce 8800gts 640MB. I use my PC as a DVR and I stream video from other PC's. Any suggestions?

I'm looking to upgrade my video card. I need help making a decision. I have Phenom x4 9550 with a GeForce 8800gts 640MB. I use my PC as a DVR and I stream video from other PC's. Any suggestions?

what resolution do you play games at, or do you just want a nice low profile with good multimedia output?

I won't be using this PC for games. The video card I have in it is the 8800 GTS 640MB. I also have another 8800 GTS 640MB that I want to combine SLI on a new rig. So I need another card for my 720p flat screen i use for Blue ray movies, HDTV channels and Internet use, only. No games. Thats for the new rig. I hope that cleared it up a little

I won't be using this PC for games. The video card I have in it is the 8800 GTS 640MB. I also have another 8800 GTS 640MB that I want to combine SLI on a new rig. So I need another card for my 720p flat screen i use for Blue ray movies, HDTV channels and Internet use, only. No games. Thats for the new rig. I hope that cleared it up a little

maybe a 4670 or 4350/4550

Thanks for the suggestion. One quick question. Whats more important stream processors or memory clock speed because the 4670 has a high stream processor (320 stream processing units) and the 9800 GTX + has a higher memory clock speed 2200Mhz

Thanks for the suggestion. One quick question. Whats more important stream processors or memory clock speed because the 4670 has a high stream processor (320 stream processing units) and the 9800 GTX + has a higher memory clock speed 2200Mhz

numbers don't really matter since every card's architecture is entirely different, why are you comparing the 4670 with the 9800GTX+? They're in entirely different classes of video cards, the 4670 is a media card and the 9800GTX+ is mid-level gaming graphics card. (that's overpriced)

well they both have "streams" in the sense but ranked completely different.

ATi cards goes up to 800 "streams" with the 4870 (that being the higest single gpu gaming card

Nvdiai cards have to 240 "processing cores" on the GTX 280.

both equally powerful with different tech behind it all. so to run 1080p you need atlest 120 "streams" or 64 "processing cores" for ultra smoothness. clock speed really doesn't matter if its for media and not gaming, so cheaper = better.

Edited by hornybluecow

well are you wanting to use a hdmi cable or just a dvi cable. what input does your tv have you should get a card that has a hdmi out built into the card ati is always a good choice for htpc

Thanks guys really great feedback. To answer some questions. I'm comparing both cards because I need a card that will give me great resolution for the price. Always liked NviDia cards thought the 9800 GTX + would give me that because of the memory clock 2200 Mhz. With the core clock speed being almost the same on both cards 738Mhz for the GTX and the 4670 being 750Mhz. I will be using a DVI to HDMI Cable. And I have an older LCD TV only 720p. Thanks for the help.

okay again you CANNOT compared nvidia clocked speeds to Ati, the tech is completely different making clock speed between the two irrelevant.

grab a 8600 or higher with HDMI for 720/1080p enjoyment. end of thread.

Edited by hornybluecow