Driving to buy a non-local car

airman

Yeah, I know they're a drifting platform and all. But I had no idea you could sell one of those for close to 4k with that many miles. Hp/cost there's much better deals out there. I'm sure however that's not why he's buying the car. Don't you have a pretty quick eclipse... or talon airman?

Edited by mrsinister

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where ever you meet have the local police come out and do a title check....any police can do it and they can do multiple states...as long as the name on the title matches their search your fine...

I have bought out of state cars many times...

Yeah, I know they're a drifting platform and all. But I had no idea you could sell one of those for close to 4k with that many miles. Hp/cost there's much better deals out there. I'm sure however that's not why he's buying the car. Don't you have a pretty quick eclipse... or talon airman?

yeah, the eclipse was fun while it lasted. the thing turned out to be a money pit. after putting about 2 grand into it, the oil pump died and i guess my oil pressure gauge wasn't reading correctly, and the entire motor roasted itself. knowing what happened, it hobbled home, i parked it, and let it sit for a few months before selling it for practically nothing.

sinister, most of the good condition and rust-free 240s are easily $3k plus. the car i almost drove to VA for (about 7 hours from here) was $2600, no power windows, no sunroof and a few rust spots. i actually found one in dacula, ga (about 2 hours or less away from here) that's actually in decent condition which i've already negotiated to $2000.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cto/1055493792.html

i WILL be going to check this out tomorrow morning. power everything, rust free. Carfax shows an accident, but was recorded as "slight" damage and was to the front right fender, which was back in '96 i believe. as seen in the picture it has a dent in the left quarter panel, and the back seat isn't too clean. i can fix the dents, and i'll have it painted over the summer. due to the high mileage, when i turbo it over the summer i'll rebuild it and throw some eagle rods in during the process.

if i do get it, i'll be sure to post pictures and all that good stuff :)

Edited by airman

If you know enough people like I did when I was in my car scene, we had people all over if we needed to have a car looked at someone would volunteer to check it out for you.

but I would definetly have it checked first for pristineness for that much.

The cars have a massive resale value due to the fact they are a massive drifting platform, just like the mustangs from 81-94 are outrageously overpriced becuase they are stupid simple to make stupid fast, which makes them retain their resale quadruple fold. so the price seems about right if the car is in good condidtion.

Seriously? 240's are worth that much?

It's only because of the rarity...they are hard to find anymore in good shape, most of them are half rusted away and in terrible shape. Even then they still go for quite a bit. The fast and the furious drove the prices up a little bit too.

Why don't you add a little more money and get a used altima or something. I'm pretty sure you can find a deal on cars.com

..... Altima? I don't think he's looking for a grocery getter. The Altima is a family car. He said turbo. Family car+turbo=....? Waste of cash maybe?

The fast and the furious drove the prices up a little bit too.

Lmao. Yeah..... I see these really poorly thought out 240's around town all the time, its a shame.

if i do get it, i'll be sure to post pictures and all that good stuff smile.gif

Yes please :)

What's the stock specs on those little cars anyway? I'd imagine they are relatively light.

Edited by mrsinister

But then again it's not exactly my type of car.

I don't think he cares about your opinion :rolleyes:

He is wanting to know if it's safe to drive and get the car, not if it's the type of car you like.....

Edited by QueenzPCfreak90

turned out her title was in the mail, and she should be getting it some time this week. i can't buy it without the title, and even if i went to check it out today i wouldn't have bought it. it's 2 hours away, and i don't have to work next saturday until 3pm. that gives me plenty of time to get there in the morning, and check it out. i'm going to do some research and have it taken to a mechanic down there of my choice.

it's a buyer's market for cars right now. so many people are selling their cars now and in the near future because they need the money. it's the perfect time to buy :)

anyways, i can't map out my plans out completely yet. however, i know if i do get a 240sx soon, there will be plenty of work on it during the summer. rebuild, eagle rods, then turbo. from now till then will be aesthetic, cleaning it up, pulling out dents, and possibly getting it ready for paint as it needs it. continue the discussion, but i won't really have a good update till saturday.

@ sinister: these cars are very light, only around 2800-2900lbs. they don't have a lot of power stock due to the low compression ratio of the engine. i believe it's 8.5:1 or 8.8:1. output to the wheels is about 120-130hp stock i'd say. it'd be fun for now but a blast once it's turboed :D

Edited by airman