Sign in to follow this  
alexfort93

Making a website (hardware part of it)

Well, I'm a complete noob when it comes to setting up a website. I understand that you need to purchase a domain name and have a hosting service. What is the best way I should go about doing it? Is it possible for me to host my own web page? Please bear with me here... First time doing this :ph34r:

You could host your own if your ISP allows. Most ISP's do not allow hosting a site on residential service. You will need a domain name no matter whether you host it yourself or have it hosted for you. For a first timer it would be better to have it hosted for you anyway. Now what type of hosting to get greatly depends on what your website is going to be used for.

Well, I need to make a website for a Day of Defeat clan, so it needs to include a forum. I am definitely going to have to pay for hosting, as we are probably going to need the space if I want to allow fast downloads on our server and such.

I went to godaddy.com and picked out a domain name, but all I really need right now is a hosting service, and I'm not sure how expensive or how much space, etc. I need to do this.

GoDaddy has hosting options available. I've used them for a good 5+ years now with no complaints. A number of other people suggest 1and1 hosting.

I've got all of my sites on 1&1.

No complaints. Free domains with hosting (and hosting plans are pretty cheap), lots of databases (needed for a forum), can host multiple domains on one account for no additional charge.

A host I have used in the past and really like is Lunarpages. They aren't the cheapest around but they are very reliable and their support is really hard to beat.

Are you renting a Dod server for your clan? I know a lot of the server companies sometimes offer free web hosting with the server rental.

Edited by slick2500

Thanks for the replies everyone :thumbs-up:

Are you renting a Dod server for your clan? I know a lot of the server companies sometimes offer free web hosting with the server rental.

No, right now we are given a server from another clan type, but I believe we are going to be breaking off soon. I have not gotten that far into what company I am going to use to host the server, do you know of any that also offer free web hosting?

Here is the thing, I am not sure how much space I am going to need to start this up. I need good bandwidth so I can get fast downloads working. But for everything else, I'm at total loss right now :blink:

Don't frown upon hosting it yourself either.

Did so for 2 years before bandwidth even became an issue and then had to find a host.