Building Newb requires assistance! (Budget Gaming Rig)

Scarecrow

Salutations everyone! So... I need help!

This is my first build and I'm going for a great gaming system...for as low in price as I can get it. (I was trying to stick to around <850, but considering the i7 is only 140 more...)

I have set up two builds based on the 3 items I already have...but the big question is:

Spend an extra $145 for a new quad i7 with less processing speed? Or save and hit a solid Dual E8500 3.1 ghz?

Also, this does not include peripherals. I do have a 6-7 year old Dell 15' flat monitor and a crap keyboard, but that's it. (I suppose that will suffice 'till I can afford more.)

The three items I already have: 1) Apollo Case 2) OCZ Stealth PSU 3) VistionTek Ati Radion hd 4870 512 mb (No I did not buy it for that much! Lol)

Intel Dual Core Build:

Intel E8500 3.16 Ghz

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard

WD Caviar 350gb HDD

G.Skill 4gb RAM

Windows Vista 64 bit for System Builders

LG Disc Drive

Intel i7:

Intel i7 Processor 2.6 Ghz

Gigabyte "Under" Mother Board

G.Skill 3gb RAM

WD Caviar 350gb HDD

LG Disc Drive

Intel Duo E500 = $803.50

Intel i7 = $949.73

Thank you everyone in advance! = D

P.s.

-If anyone can suggest better items considering lower prices, I am all for it. Though quality is important, I really need to go as low as I can financially.

Edited by Scarecrow

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say this all the time, but in my opinion i7 isn't worth the price premium, especially on a budget like yours. For gaming you're probably better off with a faster dual core than a slower quad. I gave up my quad for a dual in my gaming rig. Quads really only shine in a few select games at the moment. More quad-enabled games will come, but I think adoption will still be slow for the next year or so.

I'd take that extra $140 or so and put it towards a new monitor. 15" means VERY low resolution gaming.

Salutations everyone! So... I need help!

This is my first build and I'm going for a great gaming system...for as low in price as I can get it. (I was trying to stick to around <850, but considering the i7 is only 140 more...)

I have set up two builds based on the 3 items I already have...but the big question is:

Spend an extra $145 for a new quad i7 with less processing speed? Or save and hit a solid Dual E8500 3.1 ghz?

Also, this does not include peripherals. I do have a 6-7 year old Dell 15' flat monitor and a crap keyboard, but that's it. (I suppose that will suffice 'till I can afford more.)

The three items I already have: 1) Apollo Case 2) OCZ Stealth PSU 3) VistionTek Ati Radion hd 4870 512 mb (No I did not buy it for that much! Lol)

Intel Dual Core Build:

Intel E8500 3.16 Ghz

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard

WD Caviar 350gb HDD

G.Skill 4gb RAM

LG Disc Drive

Intel i7:

Intel i7 Processor 2.6 Ghz

Gigabyte "Under" Mother Board

G.Skill 3gb RAM

WD Caviar 350gb HDD

LG Disc Drive

Intel Duo E500 = $803.50

Intel i7 = $949.73

Thank you everyone in advance! = D

P.s.

-If anyone can suggest better items considering lower prices, I am all for it. Though quality is important, I really need to go as low as I can financially.

remember intel 8400 alot cheaper then 8500....overclocked the 8400 will do almost as good....as far as the i7 remember hardware is always ahead of software......high tech is where the money is.......game manufactuers will go in that direction in 2009.....if u can get the i7 thats the avenue i would go.....good luck.....peace and safe journey

Thanks for the insight guys. Ya, I understand that the games of today utilize only two cores (with a few exceptions like GTA IV) and they play them very well. So I suppose its a better deal to build a strong dual core now, and when A LOT of games utilize all 4 cores (in a year or two), upgrade then.

Oh! I forgot to add that I don't know much about Overclocking. In a way I'm a bit hesitant to OC, because of the possible risk to my system (I don't have the money to keep upgrading every year or two, so I wouldn't want to burn out my system). But that'd be awesome to give my cpu a little boost, without pwning it.

= P

you could hit up an AMD system too, the Phenom II prices are very competitive with the lower quads and e8400's/e8500's and you can get a triple core for cheaper.

Hopefully you overclock to make it an even better investment

Processor:AMD Phenom II 720 X3 @ $144.99

Motherboard:Gigabyte 790X $114.99

or a Biostar Tforce 790GX (has an integrated graphics chip with hdmi out) $109.99

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Oh dang...I never even considered AMD...or a tri-core for that matter. Less expensive, extra core.

Is there anything different besides the chipset and cpu that is required? (I don't know a thing about AMD)

Oh dang...I never even considered AMD...or a tri-core for that matter. Less expensive, extra core.

Is there anything different besides the chipset and cpu that is required? (I don't know a thing about AMD)

no everything else you picked is great and will work just fine. (also, a note is that the 720 is an AM3 chip so in the future you could buy an AM3/DDR3 board and pop it right on there)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Ya! That's what I have been reading on.

With all of my previous parts (except an HDD upgrade from 320gbs to 640gbs) included, with an AMD Phenom X3 720 & the Biostar mobo, the overall price comes out to:

$642.74

That really affords me some leeway for buying an extra 120mm fan and heatsink cooler if I want to OC the Phenom.

Ya! That's what I have been reading on.

With all of my previous parts (except an HDD upgrade from 320gbs to 640gbs) included, with an AMD Phenom X3 720 & the Biostar mobo, the overall price comes out to:

$642.74

That really affords me some leeway for buying an extra 120mm fan and heatsink cooler if I want to OC the Phenom.

I heard the stock cooler is pretty good since the Phenom's don't run too hot but an Xigmatek S1283 would be great for optimal heat transfer of a dual/triple core processor. Not to mention it's one of the best coolers for the buck

Sweet, thanks for the cooler tip.

Now I know this is a question that I can probably find loads on but, does anyone know the overall difference between Amd and Intel?

Due to this being my first build and a budget one at that, I would totally opt for Amd concerning price. As for quality, I don't know the difference.