UD3R Took a Crap in DIMMs 3 & 4

The new build was going great... until now. I've always had a little quirk with the computer. Now I know why. It started with my games failing, then I couldn't OC my HD4850 past 685MHz. Rebooted tonight and BAM!! Windows will not open. SO I ran Memtest again just to be sure.

Failed right out of the gate on Test #2.

Pulled the stick out of DIMM #1,

ran Memtest...Test #2 Failed.

Replaced stick in DIMM #3...Failed Test #2.

Put stick in DIMM #4...Failed #2

DIMM#1...Good.

DIMM#2...Good.

I'm past the 30 day return period for Newegg, and I've heard horror stories about sending your mobo to Gigabyte. I figure it's not worth the downtime, shipping costs, and hassle to deal with them. THey obviously don't care about their customers.

Anybody got a suggestion on another mobo, other than Gigabyte? It has to be a good OC'er, and be around the $120 target.

Thanks,

Matt

The new build was going great... until now. I've always had a little quirk with the computer. Now I know why. It started with my games failing, then I couldn't OC my HD4850 past 685MHz. Rebooted tonight and BAM!! Windows will not open. SO I ran Memtest again just to be sure.

DIMM#1...Good.

DIMM#2...Good.

I'm past the 30 day return period for Newegg, and I've heard horror stories about sending your mobo to Gigabyte. I figure it's not worth the downtime, shipping costs, and hassle to deal with them. THey obviously don't care about their customers.

Anybody got a suggestion on another mobo, other than Gigabyte? It has to be a good OC'er, and be around the $120 target.

Thanks,

Matt

Well I am sure the process isn't extremely terrible. The least you can do is try

Well I am sure the process isn't extremely terrible. The least you can do is try

I've had first hand experience with Gigabyte's RMA for motherboards. It's painless and easy. Give 'em an email explaining the problem, tell them all the steps you've done to come to your conclusion (tested RAM in slots 1 & 2, tested with different computers/motherboards and RAM tests fine) and they should shoot you back an email with an RMA number and the address to send the motherboard to. I did it with my GA-8IPE1000G Rev. 4 in mid-2006, took about a week to get it back from when I sent it out.

No worries man.

DIMM#1...Good.

DIMM#2...Good.

Thanks,

Matt

Sounds like you have a bad stick of memory, not a bad MB...

Asus P5Q? :)

I'm also running an E8400 with a BFG GTX 280, 2x2GB OCZ mem, bunch of hard drives and corsair 750 tx on Vista 64.

I've got the P5Q Premium board and i paid $130 for it....slightly above your target, but I'm in Canada and we pay premiums (on a Premium, haaaa. that was terrible.)

-Shannon

Gigabyte will rma it no probs, you'll have it back in 2-3 weeks. I sent one in and had no probs with them.

I have 2 sticks. tested both in all 4 slots.

Update: I believe my issue was my BIOS. Asked Gigabyte about it, and they gave some direction. I reloaded the defaults, and tested everthing. So far so good. God what a learning experience.