Recommendations for an RPG

tkrow21

Hi all I would like some recommendations for a good RPG. I've decided that CS:S has to be played regularly to maintain a good skill level, and CoD4, L4D, and TF2 are all the same game genre, which has started to bore me a bit.

Just so you know what direction I'm going in, I loved Diablo II very much and it has probably been the only RPG I've ever played for a long period of time. Sweet graphics and a first person view are definitely pluses (I'm an FPS guy). I can't afford monthly payments, so WoW is out of the question. It has to be online and it can be an MMO.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fallout 3 for sure. First-person with a unique environment and setting (not like most RPG's that focus on the fantasy realm). It also looks great, but doesn't require a powerhouse to run (I play it on my laptop and it still looks good).

If you want something more like D2, which would be classified as an Action-RPG rather than a traditional RPG, I highly recommend Titan Quest. Definitely the best Action-RPG I've played since D2 and graphics just blow D2 (and any other Action-RPG) out of the water. The class/skill structure is also different than D2 so it won't feel like you're simply playing an updated D2.

For the future, keep your eye on Dragon Age: Origins. It's being developed by Bioware (so you know it'll be top-notch), and it's got a very unique "character creation" system. Everything I've read on it makes it sound extremely promising.

The original Bioware Neverwinter Nights is a fantastic game, available at a giveaway price. Get the compilation box edition (I think it's called Diamond at the moment), and you have around a hundred hours of story plus free access to one of the strongest online roleplaying communities.

Fallout 3 for sure. First-person with a unique environment and setting (not like most RPG's that focus on the fantasy realm). It also looks great, but doesn't require a powerhouse to run (I play it on my laptop and it still looks good).

If you want something more like D2, which would be classified as an Action-RPG rather than a traditional RPG, I highly recommend Titan Quest. Definitely the best Action-RPG I've played since D2 and graphics just blow D2 (and any other Action-RPG) out of the water. The class/skill structure is also different than D2 so it won't feel like you're simply playing an updated D2.

For the future, keep your eye on Dragon Age: Origins. It's being developed by Bioware (so you know it'll be top-notch), and it's got a very unique "character creation" system. Everything I've read on it makes it sound extremely promising.

Well 2moons is a pretty good, wow-like free MMO RPG, I played it for a while.

I heard crysis warhead has good online play :D

+1 for Fallout3

+1 for Elder Scrolls, though I lean towards Oblivion as Morrowind is a tad too old skool.

Guild Wars (any and all of its expansions)- A great mmorpg that usually gets overlooked. No subscription ever, and you can install/play it on as many machines as you like just like steam games. :D

Also.... though I am hesitant to say this, you could play WoW for free if downloaded the trial then set it up to play on a private server. However I do not recommend this because it is a highly addictive game with very poor graphics and corny plot-lines. I myself am a recovering WoW addict and I really can't say if you may experience problems yourself, just thought I'd let you know that it is not necessary to subscribe or pay anything for the core game. Of course anymore the first 60 lvls are boring and are rarely played, most folks are into the PvP aspect.