First time building my own rig

jebey2

You did say you played mostly wow. These specs will run WOW like running windows pinball, or that sort of game.

This is my opinion: Since I would only be playing wow and sometimes other games, I would choose a 2 core processor like the AMD Athlon X2, oc it.( you should look at some CPU coolers, stock coolers are unreliable, well through my exp.)

a ~ $130 GPA like the ATI 3870.<Its more than enough to play wow at max settings, I can even run Fallout 3 at max.-- Id keep that ram, (I actually own 8gb of the same ram, It's really worth it) keep PSU, keep HDD, keep Case. ,

now you have money for the games :D .

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off I was wondering why that particular HDD? I can't see that its any faster and it costs more than a decent 750. Also I would like to dissuade you from buying XFX, their customer service is a shambles. It took them over a month to tell me the obvious update-driver, make sure it has power etc. bs and I never figured out what was wrong the problems just went away. My other thoughts are that if you build this system maybe you'lll come around on just playing WoW. Maybe, you'll purchase the orange box on Steam and be cured in all of 2 hours. :lol:

To Chuciman: You said "This is my opinion: Since I would only be playing wow and sometimes other games, I would choose a 2 core processor like the AMD Athlon X2, oc it." But as I said earlier, I have no plan to overclock, I dont know how and I dont have any intention to learn how any time soon. So would getting that video card and keeping it factory still be ok? or without OC it, is it not worth it?

To ocmooz: I picked that one because i just searched newegg.com for a 500GB HD and thats what came up, any brand you suggest thats decent and cheaper? Also what do you recommend other than XFX? im confortable with that price, so anything around there from a respectale company would be fine with me

Edited by jebey2

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 750GB for $79.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750GB for $62.99

Segate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB for $49.99

And yes Geeks.com is a respectable company. I have bought from them many times and I have always been impressed with shipping times and the quality of even their cheepest products.

Those are all fast, quiet and reliable performers. My little brother just got the 500 for his first build that he is slowly getting parts for.

Edited by ocmooz

If you want to save money, get a Phenom II X3 710 and a 4870 512mb.

You can find the processor for $120 and the 4870 for $165-200 on newegg.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 750GB for $79.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750GB for $62.99

Segate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB for $49.99

And yes Geeks.com is a respectable company. I have bought from them many times and I have always been impressed with shipping times and the quality of even their cheepest products.

Those are all fast, quiet and reliable performers. My little brother just got the 500 for his first build that he is slowly getting parts for.

I was about to suggest the very same options, get the 7200.11 500GB or 750GB!

You don't really need to OC. stock would still get the job done. Or as umdterps7 say, since you're not overclocking getting a Phenom II X3 710 will give you more bang for your buck.

The Video card would work great stock, and If you want, you could just buy another for crossfire later if you go into more graphic intense games.

Actually you should change case, it seems rather expensive for the plain look.

PS, you should check out tigerdirect.com,

they sometimes have pretty good deals. and you get very good description of the items.

what is the general consensus of newegg.com?

I love Newegg.com. A Fry's opened up recently locally, but 9 times out of 10 newegg.com still can beat them on price (except Fry's bundled prices). I've had a few problems with an item purchased from Newegg.com, but Newegg.com's service is so outstanding they took very good care of me.

Also if you want to save money, buy a different case. Personally, I've never spent more then $65 on a case. As long as you can fit at least one 80mm intake fan and one 80mm exhaust fan you should be fine, if you're not overclocking. If you are overclocking, go for a case that can fit 120mm fans for intake and exhaust.

Also, save $20 by going with DDR2 800 Ram. Generally, DDR2 800 Ram has tighter timings (4-4-4-12) which helps make up for a little slower Ram speed.

Corsair makes GREAT psu's, but the Antec Earthwatts and PC&C Silencer lines are just as good. You can get an PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS500 500W which should be plenty for your system for $59.99 after rebates and discounts. Or grab a PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W for $69.99 after rebates and discounts. The Earthwatts line normally goes on sale every other week (not on sale this week, but the EA650 was just discounted $30 last week - total price was $69.99). Keep an eye out and you should catch it on sale.

Edited by pkilway

I love Newegg.com. A Fry's opened up recently locally, but 9 times out of 10 newegg.com still can beat them on price (except Fry's bundled prices). I've had a few problems with an item purchased from Newegg.com, but Newegg.com's service is so outstanding they took very good care of me.

Also if you want to save money, buy a different case. Personally, I've never spent more then $65 on a case. As long as you can fit at least one 80mm intake fan and one 80mm exhaust fan you should be fine, if you're not overclocking. If you are overclocking, go for a case that can fit 120mm fans for intake and exhaust.

Also, save $20 by going with DDR2 800 Ram. Generally, DDR2 800 Ram has tighter timings (4-4-4-12) which helps make up for a little slower Ram speed.

but depending on his uses I'd buy 1066mhz ram since you can always downclock it and run 4-4-4-12, but then if he is overclocking his FSB really high his memory speed shouldn't hold him back (assuming they scale together like an Intel system)

Like i was already told, hes not OC, Besides that ram is worth it, I have 8 Gb of it. even without modifying it it's awesome. No bottle neck effect since hes not OC.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33Ghz 4MB 1333FSB (OC to: 3.0Ghz)

MoBo: Asus P5Q-E Green Intel P45 Socket 775

RAM: Corsair Dominator 8GB PC8500 DDR2 1066MHz 4x2048 w/ Corsair Dominator Airflow fan

GPA: Visiontek Radeon HD 3870 512MB PCIe w/Dual Link

PSU: Apevia ATX-LCD750W 750W

HDD:Seagate 500GB HD 7200/32MB/SATA-3G

Case: Apevia X-Jupiter Jr.Case G Type-Black

CPU Cooler:Thermaltake V1 AX

Case Cooler: 4X 120mm Fan (2 stacked on back = 2x the pressure)

I would like to downgrade each part by a little and knock off say 50-100 bucks per piece, but so far how is my rig looking? Im pretty satisfied with things so far except the processor and video card, at 250 bucks a piece thats half the cost of the rig, i know processor is the second most important part(other than adequate power) for a sturdy rig so im gonna have to pay more for it, but is there one not too downgraded from that, that is in the $180-200 range? The only problem I see me having is still being unhappy with the way my computer plays my games, so I dont want to downgrade if it will impair my gameplay.....i mean thats the whole reason im doing this.

Yep, take a look above. Get a GTX 260 core 216 it beats or equals the 4870 1GB and lately can be had for $200 then a $20 MIR

Also I'm not up on the AMD mobo's but you should be able to nock $50 off of te one your eye'ng now and still have a great board

Also back to the HD, look at this one. EDIT: just noticed the ones above, prob a better deal although 320mb platters is faster last I knew?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...-L0B-_-22136218

Edited by SpeedEuphoria

Wow you guys are awesome, I never expected so many people to throw in suggestions. Ok I really dont have a clue how to tell which part is better than the other and which will provide more bang for the buck, so Im pretty much going to take everyones word on what they say. But the case im pretty stuck on. The case I picked out first I saw showcased in a PC magazines dream machine and I fell in love with it since then. The case I have selected now is basically the same look, but at about half the price of the original. I know i can find cheaper cases, but Im just really feeling that one. But anywho, after everyones suggestions, this is the latest version of my rig:

Mobo: Foxconn A79A-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD - $191

Power: PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40