Power supply murdered my computer

Yeah, so I woke up this morning and decided to skip work because it was 11 AM and my alarm clock was reset. Powered on my PC and got an overclocking failed error. So I hit the load defaults button and got into windows...but it took ages for Vista to boot up..and then my sound didn't work! (Auzen Forte)

Reinstalling drivers worked to get sound back, but the overclocking failed error wont go away even when I'm at defaults!

I was angry so I went downstairs and hit the power meter. But that didn't do anything and now my hand hurts :(

I'm cautiously probing the rest of my computer to see if anything else is broken...

Maybe I should buy a UPS :unsure:

-Shannon

edit: sorry about lack of detail. This ended up being just a rant. And the title should read "Power outage murdered..." oops :)

Edited by viperk1

UPS is just a big battery that costs 500 times as much which your likely never to use, the purpose of it is to allow you to close your PC down properly if there is a power cut, its mainly used industrially.

Anyway whats your power supply and make, does it have a warranty?

If your using a PC especially if its a nice one XD

You should buy a good quality surge protector, i got a belkin 4 way protector, didnt cost much

My computer seems to be running fine so far. But I haven't rebooted it since the power failure (or should I say...it hasn't needed to be rebooted :) )

I'm using a Corsair HX750 as my power supply, and I have an APC surge protector. Hopefully, like Crow said, its just the computer being funky.

I'm sure I'll rant again if something breaks :D

-Shannon

UPS is just a big battery that costs 500 times as much which your likely never to use, the purpose of it is to allow you to close your PC down properly if there is a power cut, its mainly used industrially.

Anyway whats your power supply and make, does it have a warranty?

If your using a PC especially if its a nice one XD

You should buy a good quality surge protector, i got a belkin 4 way protector, didnt cost much

I can honestly say I don't remember the last time we had a power cut, it's pretty rare in the UK. Things may change however because in the next ten years we may be short of power generating capacity. Old power stations are due to shut down and lack of forward planning may leave us short. :blink:

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paulktreg

I can honestly say I don't remember the last time we had a power cut, it's pretty rare in the UK. Things may change however because in the next ten years we may be short of power generating capacity. Old power stations are due to shut down and lack of forward planning may leave us short. :blink:

Cheers

Paul

i know but that's what i was getting at right there the average user doesn't need one, i cant remember the last power cut i had in the UK although i remember the opposite side of the street having a power cut and it was blacked out and we still had electricity ha lol