WEP/WPA cracking

ir_cow

so i want to test out my network to see how long it takes to crack into it but i can't seem to find any guide for Windows on WEP cracking. its all linux or self boot mac programs.

any help?

Edited by hornybluecow

Download BackTrack, load the iso onto a cd and then you will have just about every security testing application you need on a bootable CD. Version 3 also has a USB version that can be loaded on thumb drives. BackTrack has sniifers, crackers, and tons of other stuff for testing your home network security.

FYI: If you are just running a basic wireless home network with WEP as your only form of defense then BackTrack will allow you to hack it within a couple hours depending on how much data you network transmits. About the best defense for a wireless network is to use WPA2 in conjunction with Mac filtering. That is about as secure as your gonna get it using off the shelf home wireless equipment. :)

I hope this isn't considered too much of a thread-jack, but...

I don't use much in the way of security for my wireless router. All I've got is a MAC whitelist. So no one is allowed on without my say-so. How secure is that? I figure it's enough to keep my few neighbors from trying to get free internet off me (which is all I really need), but I'm just curious.

I hope this isn't considered too much of a thread-jack, but...

I don't use much in the way of security for my wireless router. All I've got is a MAC whitelist. So no one is allowed on without my say-so. How secure is that? I figure it's enough to keep my few neighbors from trying to get free internet off me (which is all I really need), but I'm just curious.

That would be ok for keeping your local neighbors off it as long as your neighbors aren't someone with any knowledge at all. With a utility like the bootable BackTrack CD it wouldn't take much effort to get by just MAC filtering. With all the MAC spoofing tools out there just MAC filtering by itself isn't any better than WEP. This is why my suggestion of WPA2 with MAC filtering is about the best you can do on a home wireless network.

Here is a link to a few wireless securing tips.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/suppor...less_secure.htm

hey thanks guys i'll check out that program!

edit: didnt they just crack WPA not to long ago with a bunch of PS3s?

also what about backtrack 4 beta? or should i stick to 3?

Edited by hornybluecow

That would be ok for keeping your local neighbors off it as long as your neighbors aren't someone with any knowledge at all. With a utility like the bootable BackTrack CD it wouldn't take much effort to get by just MAC filtering. With all the MAC spoofing tools out there just MAC filtering by itself isn't any better than WEP.

surely mac filtering is less secure than WEP? i assume in verrans case, mac addresses aren't encrypted so any old intercepted transmission would provide a way to access the network (correct me if i'm wrong!).

surely mac filtering is less secure than WEP? i assume in verrans case, mac addresses aren't encrypted so any old intercepted transmission would provide a way to access the network (correct me if i'm wrong!).

You are correct. That is what I was trying to say. MAC filtering is no more secure and in reality even less secure than WEP.

rr is right it can all be cracked. It is just that a properly secured wireless network will take a lot longer to hack than just straight wep or mac filtering.

• 3 weeks later...

well i finally got around to backtrack and its useless, i cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the wifi working, let alone any of the console programs, blah! anyone can help me?

i really wish someone would make an auto program that let you pick the network and cracked it. but nooo you have to some crazy command line stuff i don't get....

Edited by hornybluecow