Sign in to follow this  
razor

What I Heard Pres. Obama Say

Stuff about the pharmaceutical industry

Since we are totally off topic anyway (and I still believe nobody really knows what they are talking about regarding the original subject anyway), may as well continue.

Did you happen to hear anything about the new head of GSK?

The world's second biggest pharmaceutical company is to radically shift its attitude to providing cheap drugs to millions of people in the developing world.

In a major change of strategy, the new head of GlaxoSmithKline, Andrew Witty, has told the Guardian he will slash prices on all medicines in the poorest countries, give back profits to be spent on hospitals and clinics and – most ground-breaking of all – share knowledge about potential drugs that are currently protected by patents.

source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/fe...-cheap-medicine

that was fast

Agreed. For all his quotes saying gun owners had nothing to fear from him, he sure isn't owning up to them. It hardly seems like it should be a priority right now anyways.

We've talked about the AWB before and while I generally find myself more on the anti-gun side, I'm all pro-gunner here. As I understand it, it's phrased in a way that people think they're voting for something that they're really not. It's shady and I don't like it.

he is just getting started.

notice they try to shift the blame to the Mexican drug cartels.

i wonder if they will do anything about the rampant crime commited by illegal Mexicans in this country...

What I'd like to know is where the hell all these billions of dollars are coming from. The country is in debt to the tone of a gazillion dollars yet the big wigs still seem to be able to find billions upon billions of dollars to throw around. It boggles my mind.

What I'd like to know is where the hell all these billions of dollars are coming from. The country is in debt to the tone of a gazillion dollars yet the big wigs still seem to be able to find billions upon billions of dollars to throw around. It boggles my mind.

It's easy... If it's Democrats, the money comes from raising taxes (generally on the rich). If it's Republicans, it comes from borrowing (from China currently, or whoever will loan us money at that point) and increasing the national debt. When those wells run dry, they just print the money. In that case, the cost is inflation and the devaluing of the money we currently hold.

Agreed. For all his quotes saying gun owners had nothing to fear from him, he sure isn't owning up to them. It hardly seems like it should be a priority right now anyways.

We've talked about the AWB before and while I generally find myself more on the anti-gun side, I'm all pro-gunner here. As I understand it, it's phrased in a way that people think they're voting for something that they're really not. It's shady and I don't like it.

I think that most Americans, even those who dont own or technically support firearms, would agree that our gov't has many more issues of significantly increased importance to take care of first before any further firearms legislation is entertained. certainly one of those issues is our economy and job situation. it's important to stress that banning "assault weapons" would effectively kill many American firearms manufacturers and parts distributors, importers, and exporters. plain english: a new ban would further hurt our economy and would result in the loss of many more jobs.

it's important that people like Verran also take issue with this new ban. many of us have contended that a huge problem with the Bush administration was that we were lied to - about the war, about WMDs, about the treatment of prisoners, etc. well, lies know no boundaries - it's a way of life for politicians. for "hope" and "change" to really have any meaning, we must believe in our gov't and in our leaders. in supporting this ban, we would support more lies, the further erosion of our Constitutional rights, and a political power grab on par with anything we've seen in the last 8 years.

I can only hope that Americans and our legislative leaders are granted an appropriate period of time during which we can review the implications of a new AWB. let me remind you that we were, according to our President, to be allowed 48 hours to review his stimulus bill. in reality, the language of the bill was presented to our lawmakers and general public 10 hours before it was to be voted on. let that sink in and think on it. the current administration is doing as much railroading as any of our previous administrations.

a few things about the new AWB:

- there are no magic "cop killer" bullets. all bullets can kill any person. our military and law enforcement officials have access to armor-piercing ammunition - not the average American gun owner.

- real assault weapons, fully automatic firearms (machine guns) are also not available to the average American gun owner. I have a state issued firearm owner's ID, and I cannot buy a fully automatic weapon. generally, only police and military are permitted to own/posses fully automatic weapons.

- a fully automatic weapon will continuously shoot for as long as the operator has the trigger pulled, and as long as the weapon has ammunition.

- a SEMI-automatic weapon will only shoot one round per pull of the trigger. this new assault weapons legislation seeks to ban SEMI-automatic weapons. these guns are no more dangerous than your grandfather's hunting rifle. in fact, that hunting rifle likely shoots ammunition of greater power (caliber) than the ammo typically found in an "assault weapon."

I am not red or blue. I am razor, and I am an American. and I love the values my country was founded on.

I have to agree the AWB ban isn't for the benefit of the American people or there safety.

All it is Attorney General Eric Holder paying off his campaign lobbyists in Mexico for helping him get to the position he is in right know.

Holder said that putting the ban back in place would not only be a positive move by the United States, it would help cut down on the flow of guns going across the border into Mexico

aka: "We have no real reason for doing this, so we thought up the most ridiculous excuse we could and tried to see if we did have total power over the masses. Turns out we do."

Seriously, because Mexican guerillas are shooting Mexican cops in (where is that?) MEXICO! we need to ban completely normal firearms here in the US?

So maybe this is why it's taking so long to get my .22 pistol ordered, they're worried about me taking it to Mexico and selling it to some drug dealers. Now I see. Makes perfect sense...

PS.

I like how on the link in the article "sophisticated guns from the United States" they have a photo of a fully automatic machine gun, the likes of which you can't buy in the US...

Edited by Turophiliac

he is just getting started.

notice they try to shift the blame to the Mexican drug cartels.

i wonder if they will do anything about the rampant crime commited by illegal Mexicans in this country...

I saw Eric Holder trying to convince us that this will help solve the war going on down in Mexico. I can almost guarantee Mr Holder that banning ARs in the US will do diddly squat to stop the Mexican drug cartels from obtaining grenades, RPGs, and other guns that allow them to supply their private armies better than Mexico can supply its own.

I don't mind you pushing for gun control - but be honest about it. You aren't doing it to stifle violence in Mexico. You are doing it for another reason, but what? Just come out and say it. If it's "really" want the American people want, you shouldn't be afraid to be upfront and honest.

Edited by LoArmistead

When one distributer is cut off there is another one in its place ready to go. the winner shall be the lowest bidder.

don't mean to bring up things from the front of the topic But I would aggree with the Econemy of the Clinton admin. maybe he could get us out of trouble, or et us in more. :lol:

I found this political comic pretty applicable. I thought others might enjoy it. That blog is a little too liberal for me sometimes, but the comics are sometimes pretty amusing.

There's a part in the commentary of that comic that I really like and that I've mentioned before. People always throw out the term "tax and spend liberals". They really grind on Obama and others like him for raising taxes, but I think it's a pretty shallow view. I don't like the increased government spending anymore than anyone else here but I think that if you're going to do it you should at least own up to it. With liberals, you get what you vote for. Anybody who didn't expect a tax hike from Obama doesn't know their arse from a hole in the ground. They make it very clear what they're going to do. Bush, on the other hand, was not as honest. He came from a party that was 'supposed' to be fiscally conservative. Most of his support comes from the conservative crowd, and yet what he gave us couldn't have been further from it. And on top of that, his spending was all borrowing. He had no intention of paying his bill. He just ordered the lobster, ate it, and walked out leaving the bill for future generations.

Both parties are going to spend like there's no tomorrow and increase the size of government tremendously these days. We all know that. At least liberals are willing to pay for it in their own time rather than dumping the problem off on generations that will never get the chance to hold them accountable for what they did.