Kingfisher

chipset voltage on p45 boards

To the higher clocking FSB folks out there I was wondering what your chipset voltages were to run stable at 1800+FSB speeds.

While testing my new quad I am experiencing strange (to me it is strange) voltage requirements.

I am @ 1.5v on my NB voltage to get Prime95 to run 8 hours error free but only 1.1875vcore @ 453x8.5(3.85ghz.)

Anyone have similar results?

I'm running 1.36v on mine? (500fsb)

here's all my bios settings (note the memory is set to 2.3v, but when you get into red voltages it blinks so I got it on the off blink)

bios-1.jpg

bios-2.jpg

bios-3.jpg

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Hmm, I have seen similar numbers as you guys browsing around other forums too.

Unless I set it to 1.5 it will fail prime95 within seconds.

I left other voltages alone and just raised the NB volts and the farthest I can run Prime stable is 8+ hours and a core will fail without going higher and I am kinda reluctant to do that.

Is there a windows program that can monitor your NB voltage?

I couldn't find any NB voltage using asus probe and everest as you can see in the pic reports it @1.1v which is the default voltage even though it is set to 1.5 in BIOS.

I even did a BIOS update just to see if that helped and prime failed within 3 minutes with my NB set to 1.48v. :blink:

everest-1.jpg?t=1235522908

idk looks like the mobo doesn't report the voltage, don't see a NB temp either.

Maybe someone with the mobo would have a better idea. iirc my Asus P5N32-E never reported the temp or voltage.

I have two stable clocks on my P45 and neither of them need the sort of NB voltage you are running Kingfisher.

500x10 (2000 FSB) needs 1.303v on the NB, that is running 4x1024 sticks of ram.

563x8.5 (2254 FSB) needs 1.408v on the NB, that is also running 4x1024 sticks of ram.

To me, it looks like your Vcore is miles too low at 1.1875v for 453x8.5. For a clock like that with a quad i would expect a Vcore of at least 1.3V+ on air, with a NB voltage somwhere around 1.25v/1.3v.

Edited by kitfit1

Thanks Kitfit, I appreciate it.

I have been scratching my head with this new quad.

Currently I have a 425x8.5 going for 18+ hrs prime stable using 1.125vcore and 1.26 NB volts.

I have tried 453x 8.5 using anywhere from 1.187 to 1.35vcore and as I said earlier, unless I give 1.5v at least to the NB, it fails after 4-8 hours in prime.

I use the blend test.

I admit I have to relearn how to clock using quads, they behave alot differently then what I am used to so far. :thumbs-up:

I should have added in my last post, that VTT and GTL's come into play with quad's big time. They simply do not clock with any degree of stability unless you up the VTT. And of course if you up the VTT then you have no choice but to set GTL values to match.

What is your VTT and GTL settings ?