CPU stuck to heatsink

When removing stock heatsink by AMD, the CPU came up stuck to the heatsink. Although it doesn't look like theres any damage to CPU, the CPU is stuck to the heatsink and they will not become seperated without possible force.

Any suggestions or helpful tips?

Edited by wildgamer1

not sure if this would work, but holding the combo by the heatsink and flipping it to where the processor is at a 45 degree angle with the bottom up, you may be able to get a q-tip soaked in isopropyl alcohol and drip it down the heatsink base so it gets in the crack between the base and the processor. that may help loosen the paste enough. a razor blade may help as well. just make sure not to drip anything in or on the processor other than the heat spreader on top.

It's fairly common for these people to use the sticky thermal paste. Try rotating the heatsink a little bit back and forth. You will have to use a bit of force too. And like someone mentioned earlier, use a hair dryer if you have to to heat up the paste so it won't stick as well.

Wow....I can't believe nobody suggested this yet as I always do if I am planning on pulling the CPU out....

Put it back in and let it run for a few minuets so it heats up. The shut your PC down and it should come right out.

Wow....I can't believe nobody suggested this yet as I always do if I am planning on pulling the CPU out....

Put it back in and let it run for a few minuets so it heats up. The shut your PC down and it should come right out.

I don't know if I'd recommend that though. Putting it back on could prove to be a little tricky. With it stuck to the heatsink it might be a little tough to align the pins. I wouldn't want to risk bending them.

It's a good piece of advice for future removals though.

I had this happen with my old pentium 4 when I took it out to give to my girlfriend. It was... bad. I ended up grabbing the edges of the chip and twisting back and forth until it gave.

Now I only remove heatsinks by twisting back and forth with low force until it gives. It takes a while at times, but better than risking ripping the pins out.