DLS2008

Xp 64-bit Oem Student Copy Won't Install

I've purchased a copy of Windows XP (includes disks and product keys for both 32 and 64-bit) through the University of Michigan as a student OEM edition. It's supposed to be able to do a full install (it wouldn't make sense for it to be an upgrade copy anyways). I've built a new rig and set up RAID 10 with 4 500 GB drives. The BIOS sees the drives and when it does the disk check as it boots, it shows all four disks as member disks. Then it gets to the Windows Setup screen and loads all of it's stuff. It say press Enter to continue with Windows installation, so I do. Then it tells me it doesn't recognize any hard drives installed... What gives?

With xp you usually have to have a flopppy or something with the SATA drivers to get it to see the drives on install. There is an option before windows setup starts loading stuff to load hdd drivers

Edited by BionicSniper

I dont think so. That usually just has some testing and backup utilities. This would usually come with your motherboard. I'm not sure if thats how they do it now though

You need to first read the motherboard manual (because every decently written one would have told you what I'm about to say), You must install the RAID drivers for your OS prior to windows being able to install to your HDDs because windows doesnt know by default how to use the controller (Like asking your video card to run crysis with the standard VGA driver. The quick and dirty way to do this is to get a copy of the raid driver floppy maker (mobo CD/website) and actually use one of those ancient drives to install (You have to hit F6 @ the prompt VERY shortly after the install process begins).

Otherwise download nlite and add the drivers from the floppy image to the XP iso yourself. (you can add in the other drivers you need too if you're feeling frisky :)) That's how I do it.