Sign in to follow this  
taylorolsen11

Gtx 260 Ftw Vs Gtx 280

Sorry, all you guys are just upside down on this one...

2-way SLI GTX 280's smoke anything out there period! And you can OC!

SLi 280's put kittie-GTX 295 in the litter box along with Fat cats 4870x2 and the super case cooker 2-way(Quad) SLI GTX 295's! :smack::D:lol:

Of Couse, there is no-way I might have any kind of Bias on this one either! :blush:

The 295 is basically 2 GTX 280 cores each with 896MB of memory. GTX 260 -216SP SLI delivers almost identical performance. I have them in SLI and yes it is a massive step up from 2 9800GTX+. You can look at the review of the GTX295 in our reviews section to see how the SLI setup compares to the cards mentioned in this thread.

no single game is worth $500 and crysis sure isn't worth droping $200 for a new card.

Thank you!! you saved me some typing. Crysis is not worth spending 200 dollars more for, if it was they should just charge $260 dollars for it at launch and give you the necessary hardware, or a developer's kit to actually code that inefficiently coded engine to spec yourself.

Sorry, all you guys are just upside down on this one...

2-way SLI GTX 280's smoke anything out there period! And you can OC!

SLi 280's put kittie-GTX 295 in the litter box along with Fat cats 4870x2 and the super case cooker 2-way(Quad) SLI GTX 295's! :smack::D:lol:

Of Couse, there is no-way I might have any kind of Bias on this one either! :blush:

The 295 is basically 2 GTX 280 cores each with 896MB of memory. GTX 260 -216SP SLI delivers almost identical performance. I have them in SLI and yes it is a massive step up from 2 9800GTX+. You can look at the review of the GTX295 in our reviews section to see how the SLI setup compares to the cards mentioned in this thread.

but the fact is there is no reason to buy that much graphical power unless you are doing cad work or something (or are a hardcore folder)

i would never buy a 280/285/4870x2 as that is a stupid price/performance range. I'd jump right up from the 4850x2 to the 295 (though as I said, there is no reason to do that at your resolution). I mean the 295 IS the best card out but it should be like 400 dollars, the 280/285 should be $250, and the 4870x2 should be $340

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Ive been into this stuff for a long time....and I will tell you flat out "high end" multiple GPU setups, SLI or other wise are a total waste of money. Except in certain situations with certain games "they don't do crap but give you a fatter sig"..

Ok no doubt SLI is faster in fps than a single GPU, but in typical resolutions on 20 to 24"monitors, that the majority of games use, the fps is high enough that the eye can not detect the increases made using multiple GPUs and that's at maxed settings. That is the bottom line brothers...benchmarks and time demos might show a difference between 60 and 80 fps but sure as hell your eyes won't.

Flame away, throw all the numbers you want at me......you'll never convince me more than many years of experience have. ;)

Ive been into this stuff for a long time....and I will tell you flat out "high end" multiple GPU setups, SLI or other wise are a total waste of money. Except in certain situations with certain games "they don't do crap but give you a fatter sig"..

Ok no doubt SLI is faster in fps than a single GPU, but in typical resolutions on 20 to 24"monitors, that the majority of games use, the fps is high enough that the eye can not detect the increases made using multiple GPUs and that's at maxed settings. That is the bottom line brothers...benchmarks and time demos might show a difference between 60 and 80 fps but sure as hell your eyes won't.

Flame away, throw all the numbers you want at me......you'll never convince me more than many years of experience have. ;)

ya but two 295s cost $1000 dollars, which makes dem da bestest!

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Thank you!! you saved me some typing. Crysis is not worth spending 200 dollars more for, if it was they should just charge $260 dollars for it at launch and give you the necessary hardware, or a developer's kit to actually code that inefficiently coded engine to spec yourself.

but the fact is there is no reason to buy that much graphical power unless you are doing cad work or something (or are a hardcore folder)

i would never buy a 280/285/4870x2 as that is a stupid price/performance range. I'd jump right up from the 4850x2 to the 295 (though as I said, there is no reason to do that at your resolution). I mean the 295 IS the best card out but it should be like 400 dollars, the 280/285 should be $250, and the 4870x2 should be $340

Well actually there is. When you are building a race car do you install the econobox engine or do you build the wildest engine you can to take advantage of the rest of the combination? Sure you can play games with an HD4850 at 1920x1200. Can you play with the same level of detail as a GTX295? Nope. Its not about the average FPS its about the minimum FPS reached. The Higher end cards will always have a higher minimum FPS thereby giving a higher average creating a better experience. I will tell you I will run the multi GPU setup any day of the week over a single card and have been for years.

HD4850 at 1920x1200.

hence the x2 next to 4850 :P (making it hd4850x2)

which is a far better buy and can certainly handle 1920x1200 like nothing. even a 260 could, I know you're more of a reasonable fellow than to suggest one needs two 260s/280s (or 295) for 1920x1200. And let use not bring up Crysis, PUHLEASE lol. People should beat it and let it rot.

and if it's warhead we're speaking of then it's more optimized...

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Ya Crysis is fun, but honestly, its not $500 dollars fun...geez, no game is. Screw it and keep 300 bucks, get a 4870x2 or gtx 260 and play at awsome levels of detail at 1900X1200 instead of dropping 1000 bucks on a setup that will be a dinosaur in a year haha. Oh and do you know what you can buy for 1000 bucks?! A whole new rig hahaha

hence the x2 next to 4850 :P (making it hd4850x2)

which is a far better buy and can certainly handle 1920x1200 like nothing. even a 260 could, I know you're more of a reasonable fellow than to suggest one needs two 260s/280s (or 295) for 1920x1200. And let use not bring up Crysis, PUHLEASE lol. People should beat it and let it rot.

and if it's warhead we're speaking of then it's more optimized...

I don't think he cares about saving money or be cost efficient hence the reason he asked about the 2 280's. While you may not think crysis is worth maxing out the settings others might.

The reason he should be considering the 2 280's/ 2 260's/ 295 is bececause he wants the current best of the best. While this may be strange to you I've dealt with many customers that gladly pay 3grand for insane computers. no matter how harde I try to convince them they don't need it they will not listen.

OP

In my book the 295 is currently the best but if your not set on getting the best or want to save money then by all means go with a single 260.

:withstupid: There are those diehard people out there that want the best or the most powerful stuff. Sadly I am one of those ones that likes to play around with the best stuff. Its not that I like to brag its because I enjoy doing it.

I had multiple 24" LCD's before I got my 30" and depending on certain games sometimes a single card solution does't quite cut it depending on your game titles. That is the one sad thing about gaming is performance is all over the darn place so its hard to build around all games so you try and build around most of them. Everyone once in a while a game comes around to through you for a loop like Crysis <_>

Every once in a while a game comes around to throw you for a loop like Crysis <_<

Crysis just runs like crap on everything. :lol: