4870 512mb Vs 4870 1gb

Compxpert

Only a $20 difference is there a significant performance difference?

512mb Sapphire: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102810

1gb Sapphire: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102815

Just noticed there is also a core clock difference of 30mhz between the two... Is $20 worth 512mb more mem and 30mhz more?

Btw I'm going to crossfire these.

yes it is worth it. the clock speeds aside (as you can easily set them to match) when you are using higher resolutions and/or aa and af there will be a noticeable speed difference as these setting you more memory and memory bandwidth. the 1gb model will also allow for more higher resolution textures and less stuttering.

Well, I have 2 Diamond 4870 512s in Crossfire and 2 Diamond 4870 1024s in Crossfire. The 1 GB ones do perform better. In CoD4, I saw a good 60+ FPS boost with all setting maxed by switching to the 1 GBs. I'd definitely go for the 1 GB ones unless you're tight on cash and can't spare the money.

Uhh I just realized its a bit more than a $20 difference... dunno why when I was at school I thought it was.... $174 vs. $224..... diff of $50... and in xfire difference of $100 which in the end goes too far over budget.... Sadly I have to get the 512s or no xfire. Suggestions? Should I do the 512 ... 512 xfire or single 1gb?

Edited by Compxpert

I say go with the single 1gb, then get another one once you save up some cash for it. BTW, prices dropped on the 4870's today on newegg. The card I have was $299 yesterday and is $244 today. Quite a price drop.

Thanks for the feedback... However I could use a bit more before I make this decision... What would be better for the forum wars cus this rig should be ready by the cutoff date? I'm sure having the xfire in general would be better but maybe getting the 1gb and waiting despite the forum wars would be best..... In the end its up to me anyway.

Edited by Compxpert

Depends on the display I use... If I use my monitor I use 1680x1050 if I use my TV however I use 1920x1080

if you'll game on your tv alot then I'd get a 260 or 4870 but if you game at 1680x1050 alot then I suggest a 4850