• I don't use linux / BSD
  2. 2. How is it installed?

• My primary OS
    • Dual boot setup
    • I have it installed on a VM
    • I'm using a 'Live' disk
    • Other
    • I don't use linux / BSD

quad boot? why 4? do you actually use all 4?

why NetBSD?

I use debian.

I could ask the same I suppose. Why Linux? :)

Generally, I just get on with the BSD's far better than I do with Linux. Simple as that really.

Quad boot? Are you serious? :lol: I didn't realize anyone still did crazy stuff like that. :P

Heh I'm sort of on a dual boot... I don't use windows 7 or xp now but I truely have a quad boot my self also. Btw I use Gentoo... as I'm aware you have had experience with Gentoo before.

crazy quad booters :P

well if i had more space id still have LFS (linux from scratch) installed, it was incredibly interesting installing it. (woh so many words starting with i)

but, since my single 300gb drive is full, theres no linux for me now. :(

ive always wanted to give bsd a spin.. maybe that's next :D

I use ubuntu 8.10 currently on my main box tho i am still dabbling with suse, waiting on my 64bit ubuntu and suse 11.1 dvd's to get here, i have gentoo 2008 on a p4 box that is set up as an apache/sql server. i also have solaris 7 installed on an old sun4m architecture risc box, and an old version of vax on an old alpha risc box. the sun box is currently used for nothing, some day it will be a file server when i can afford the scsi hdd's. and maybe i'll turn the alpha box into a firewall with netbsd. I started using unix with red hat 5 way back in the day, dumped it in favor of slackware 7, loved slackware. Gentoo is a nice distro as well, been thinking of using it as my main OS, suse and ubuntu are good for getting a linux box up and running quickly. I hate vax, it was a def learning curve for me but i think it was worth it for the experience. I must say too when i first got both of those risc machines, i was impressed with their speed, even with dated technology and architectures, they were fast at performing day to day tasks. been wanting to get an ulrasparc box to play with tho. maybe i'll look on ebay for one of those. currently the only machines where i live that don't run some type of unix variant don't belong to me. I dumped windows completely a few years ago, and i think its like quiting smoking, you never needed it in the first place, and it costs too much.

/edit forgot to mention the p4 gentoo box dual boots gentoo and beos.

Edited by killall-9

• 1 month later...

I have been a Linux user for about 1.5 years now mostly Kubuntu and Debian Etch but lately since Kubuntu 8.10 with its KDE 4 which I do not think is quite ready yet for main pc daily use I ended up switching to Mepis 8 64 bit which is based on Debian Lenny using the KDE 3.5 desktop. I have a m-itx computer which I use as a file server, bittorrent, and usenet downloading which is running Debian Etch headless.

Generally, I just get on with the BSD's far better than I do with Linux. Simple as that really.

Well, why linux over BSD, or BSD over linux? To a longtime windows guy, they seem the same to me ;)

Same here. I mainly use FreeBSD though.

Well, why linux over BSD, or BSD over linux? To a longtime windows guy, they seem the same to me ;)

Out of the many Linux distros I have tried, none feel as well put together as an BSD derived OS and always have something that annoys me. Linux feels hacked together to me, though some people like that. Although, Linux's main advantage (IMO) is its vast hardware support and, somewhat, better application support. I use Linux on machines that don't have hardware supported (or supported well) on BSD.

Anyway, you just have to try both and stick to what you like.