Which Of The Following Hard Drive Choices Will Provide A Faster Perfor

Lord Stardust

Which of the following hard drive choices will provide a faster performance that is ideal for gaming...the single drive or the RAID-O?

a. Gaming HARD DRIVE [serial ATA-300, 10,000 RPM]

WD Velociraptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 16M Cache Hard Drive

-OR-

b. Extreme Performance (RAID-0) with 2 Identical Hard Drives

(300GB (150GBx2) Gaming Western Digital VelociRaptor 10,000RPM SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache WD1500HLFS)

Thank you for your assistance, I'm trying to customize my own Gaming machine! :)

ETA: I also read somewhere that a RAID-O setup will also run a greater risk of HDD failure because it would be more taxing on the system. I worry about that as well.

Edited by Lord Stardust

If your pockets are lined with money, the SSD is definitely going to be the best performance-wise. but if you are like the rest of us, a nice 320GB 7200rpm drive with a 32mb cache should be perfectly fine, and they don't cost an arm and a leg. plus if you want storage, you can get up to 1.5 or even 2 TB now.

Any name brand 7200 RPM hard drive will be fine. The extra money spent on Raptors really doesn't make much of a difference and SSDs can't really stretch their legs unless you have a real RAID card (a hardware one, not a crappy onboard controller on your motherboard).

The fastest HDD setup I've ever used was 2 western digitial caviar black 1TB drives in raid 0.

They easily beat a previous build with a veloci, but you do run the risk of HDD failure.

In my view SSD's just aren't worth it yet

In my view SSD's just aren't worth it yet

If you're using an onboard controller this is true. If you use a full hardware RAID card they are incredibly fast...Vista boot times of less than 12 seconds aren't uncommon.