Sign in to follow this  
T3mpest

Worth Changing Thermal Paste On Xfx 260 Black??

Hey,

I got some mx-2 laying around and am in the tinkering mood so I was wondering if it would be worth it to take apart my 260 and swap out the thermal paste since ive heard its its horrible stuff and they use way to much. currently my 260 idles around 50C and hits high 60s at load using the stock cooler. Ive done this to an 8800GT when i installed an acellero on it so its not really the first time but im not sure if i would get any improvement by doing this and still keeping the stock cooler.

link +1 :thumbs-up:

Yeah, i registered, even got my handy dandy black club card thing to prove it, and the massive case badge that looks like its built for a car. So as soon as my paper is written that paste is gettin swaped,thanks OCC

Tempest

Didnt lower temps any from what i can tell, maybe a degree here and there, dont it raised em any either, still hitting hi 60's at load. Guess ill have to take the plunge.. anyone know of a good aftermarket cooler?

EDIT:: might get one of these when they come out...

http://vr-zone.com/articles/arctic-cooling...3.html?doc=6453

Edited by T3mpest

Didnt lower temps any from what i can tell, maybe a degree here and there, dont it raised em any either, still hitting hi 60's at load. Guess ill have to take the plunge.. anyone know of a good aftermarket cooler?

EDIT:: might get one of these when they come out...

http://vr-zone.com/articles/arctic-cooling...3.html?doc=6453

Stick with stock cooling for this card. It's cooling isn't crap like most others are. A card with a similar cooler was reviewed and concluded with the reviewer saying the cooler was pretty efficient and quiet.

More with links again - Read the Cooling Section @: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article870-page7.html

Cooling: The stock cooler was suprisingly quiet and effective. At idle, even in a quiet room it would barely be audible, if at all. When stressed the GPU's fan does not ramp up very much, and the amount of extra noise it generates is minimal and easily drowned out by in-game sound effects and music. Rarely are we satisfied with stock VGA heatsinks, but the ENGTX260 cooler was an exception. It is quiet enough to make all but the most picky of silent PC users happy.

The other pictures show that it's pretty much the same cooler + other decals.

60 would be great, it hit 68 playing COD4, idleing at 49C atm.

Fan wise i got riva controling the fan speed

below 55C >45%

55-69C >60%

70C-75C> >80%

Above 75C > 100%

It hasnt gone to to the 80% fan speed since ive switched the paste from what i can tell. It used to on occasion.

I wouldn't bother unless you're changing the cooler. It makes so little difference it's laughable.