Intel Sueing Nvidia Over Nehalem Chipsets

Hmm looks like a case of he said she said.. Nvidia says since they have a 4 year agreement in which they are allowed to provide chipset support for intel cpus..

Intel says that agreement only covers their previous cpu technologies for chipsets and not the current DMI of the new i7's.

More info: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10166684-1.html

I guess it all depends on whats really written in the contract or how its interpreted.

Edit: hmm maybe this topic, even though related to this area of the forum, would do better in the Members Lounge?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

good I don't want nvidia making chipsets :lol:

Did you hear about the NVidia 980a? It's the upcoming chipset that will support the latest AMD AM3 CPUs as well as 3-way SLI. :)

Nvidia makes 3D cards (aka "GPUs," for graphics processing unit), and it has licensed chipset technology from both AMD and NvidiaIntel to make its own chipsets that support each CPU vendors' respective processors.

Correction^

no one needs nvidia chipsets now that the X58's are out -_-

:blink: My sentiments exactly :blink:

I wonder if the P55's are going to be SLI/Crossfire capable. Even though I don't use either technology, I don't want nvidia to get more chances to continue making chipsets haha

no one needs nvidia chipsets now that the X58's are out -_-

We would not need them anymore if Nvidia decided to enable SLI on AMD chipsets like they did for X58s.

Edit: In other words, there would be no chipset limitations.

Edited by The Smith

Did you hear about the NVidia 980a? It's the upcoming chipset that will support the latest AMD AM3 CPUs as well as 3-way SLI. :)

It's GREAT news!!!

Personally, I Don't Want to lose any more competetors, and to all you ROFL's my 790i with Digital PWM Rocks! :lol:

Last I heard was that Nvidia had showed up at a meeting with all the Major Motherboard Manufacturers.

Nvidia's Representative asked: "What would you all think if Nvidia pulled out of the Chipset Market.?"

The room fell deadly silent.

Here it Is:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20080801VL203.html

"Nvidia has decided to throw in the towel and quit the chipset business, sources close to the situation at one of Taiwan's top motherboard makers have revealed. As the story is told, Nvidia called a meeting earlier this week with its motherboard partners to gauge support for it continuing to develop chipsets in the future.

The motherboard makers' response? Silence".

Nvidia said to be quitting chipset business; company denies claimsNvidia said to be quitting chipset business; company denies claims

Latest news

Ricky Morris, DIGITIMES, Taipei [Friday 1 August 2008]