Restart Freezes?

p0st4l

Hello all,

Just recently put a new system together in a Thermaltake Lanbox Lite case. The only two problems I am having currently (one isn't huge but is easily fixable) are that the computer won't restart if I try to restart it (have to hit reset once it closes windows) and the temps inside of the case (figured they would be hotter since its a small case). I have a DFI LANPARTY JR 790GX-M2RS motherboard, 2 set of OCZ Reaper Hpc Edition PC2-8500 DDR2 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 Dual Channel EPP Memory Kit, and a AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Quad Core Processor AM2+ 3.0GHZ 8MB Cache 125W 45NM processor. I was thinking of mounting a 80 mm fac inside the back of the case but I'm not sure if it should be an intake or exhaust fan. If there is any other information needed I will provide. Thanks for the help in advance.

Well I'm not sure why your computer isn't properly restarting, maybe someone else can help you with that. The rear case fan(s) should be blowing air out of the case. If there is a spot on that case to mount a fan in the front that one should be an intake and I would recommend using both. I just looked that case up on newegg and it should have 2 60mm fans in the back and 1 90mm fan in the front.

Well I'm not sure why your computer isn't properly restarting, maybe someone else can help you with that. The rear case fan(s) should be blowing air out of the case. If there is a spot on that case to mount a fan in the front that one should be an intake and I would recommend using both. I just looked that case up on newegg and it should have 2 60mm fans in the back and 1 90mm fan in the front.

Yes and those are working but I'm not satisfied with my temperatures in the case. 55 degrees under load and I've repasted it twice. I have a shuriken low profile cpu cooler installed too. Ya I'm not sure why it is doing this but its just bugging me that I have to hit the reset switch when I want to startup or restart, maybe something to configure in the bios?

55 at load for a case like that isnt anything to freak out over i dont belive. if your still worried look at something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.as...%20VGA%20Cooler

you can get a better one but i didnt look very hard, its basicly something that takes a PCI slot and acts like a exhast fan

EDIT: heres another one, higher CFM but doesnt how loud it is

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835888309

Edited by T3mpest

55 at load for a case like that isnt anything to freak out over i dont belive. if your still worried look at something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.as...%20VGA%20Cooler

you can get a better one but i didnt look very hard, its basicly something that takes a PCI slot and acts like a exhast fan

EDIT: heres another one, higher CFM but doesnt how loud it is

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835888309

I just put in a new video card (XFX 4870 1GB DDR5) but I put it in the bottom PCI-E slot so the air around the CPU could escape. I was looking at some dual slot PCI fans that have a double intake to remove hot air from the case and thought they would help some. I was trying to find out the max temperature for the CPU I got (AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE) but wasn't finding that much. Some say going over 60 will reduce the life expectany of the chip but I like to keep mine cool (also would like to overclock too). Another question, I wasn't sure how to use Everest to check temps on my board (core, north bridge, south bridge, etc.) but using Speed Fan I noticed that temp 3 was always around 50 at start up even, any idea which temp that is? DFI LANPARTY JR 790GX-M2RS is my board. Thanks.