E8400 Vs I7 I Know You Guys Are Tired Of It...

I own an E8400, its great, I have it OC'ed fantastically... but get the i7. You're building a system to last a long time, the 1336 socket will do just that. Remember, there were Pentium 4's that used socket 775 so its a good bet that 1336 will be around for many years. Dual cores are nice but when you get a game like Alan Wake or play RTS games that rely on computing power more than they do graphics, you'll wish you had the quad core. An overclocked E8400 wont get you better framerates than a stock E8400 in most any game, so the whole issue of overclocking that processor specifically for gaming is a bit moot. FEAR2 is optimized to make use of all the cores on a machine, and its a good bet that any future game will be as well. Consoles are getting their multicore processors, and since it seems like damn near every game these days is made with the console in mind, I would expect the future of gaming to be core-based, not clockspeed based. Not saying you wont love your E8400, but for a rig thats to last a while.... I would drop the extra couple hundred dollars and go for the future of intel sockets.

solution = Q6600 G0

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get an E8400, and when games begin to support multi-cores, pop in a Q9550/9650.

i7 Pros:

Higher performance now

Upgrade-ability

E8400 Pros:

Cheaper

Upgrade-ability

Upgrading will be cheaper

It's all down to how much you want that extra burst of performance and how much you're willing to pay for it now, and in the future.

Edited by Krow

i was going to get an 8xxx but i decided to go with quad core because games are starting to be quad core optimized, i would spend the extra money on a quad core but not an i7, i7 boards to me seem like they still have some kinks to work out and there so expensive, if you build an i7 its going to be easily over 1000 bucks but you could stay under 800 if you shop around for a 775 setup and still have a very powerful system. besides no one is going to make a game anytime soon that will require the i7 there just isn't enough customers for them to take it that far.

i was going to get an 8xxx but i decided to go with quad core because games are starting to be quad core optimized, i would spend the extra money on a quad core but not an i7, i7 boards to me seem like they still have some kinks to work out and there so expensive, if you build an i7 its going to be easily over 1000 bucks but you could stay under 800 if you shop around for a 775 setup and still have a very powerful system. besides no one is going to make a game anytime soon that will require the i7 there just isn't enough customers for them to take it that far.

+1

Don't even look at the i7 regardless if you're getting a quad or dual core.

I7 is new and is expensive, but if you have the dough. as I did, I dont see the problem. I game, but I also do some video editing and occasional encoding. The i7 is the best processor out now so if you have the dough, go for it. Dont invest in inferior technology just because its cheaper. It all comes down to budget. Sorry, but someone has to defend the i7, I have one and I love it. Just my opinion.

I7 is new and is expensive, but if you have the dough. as I did, I dont see the problem. I game, but I also do some video editing and occasional encoding. The i7 is the best processor out now so if you have the dough, go for it. Dont invest in inferior technology just because its cheaper. It all comes down to budget. Sorry, but someone has to defend the i7, I have one and I love it. Just my opinion.

That's all well and good but if someone is buying/building a PC based on actual use and practicality it's a different outcome.

Who needs an I7 if they are just going to game and surf the net?

If you are just a gamer, a socket 939 sytem with a strong video card will be just fine still.

What good is a 4ghz overclock if you are going to use it as a family PC and your kids need it to do their homework on?

Not everyone builds a PC so they can post on a forum that they own the highest 3dmark score.

He said he wants it to last a while... i7's will definitely outlast E8400s, perform better, and make upgrading later on down the road much easier. New mem, new proc, new board or any combo of them wont be nearly as painful. Plus arent Larrabee's going to use 1336? If you want one of those you'll at least have the memory to go to it. Bottom line tho is clock speed wont be the limiting factor, so dont get the E8400 in the hopes of gaining performance in gaming through overclocking. Cores are the way of teh future, the more the merrier. Windows 7 is out in a year-ish, I cant imagine that not being optimized for at least quad core.

Edited by ebarone

fine get a q9450 like me. I'll duke it out with an i7!

and it's 1366 guys!! :lol:

if you are going to promote a technology, then know it's pin count lol.

I say if you can't afford the q9450/q9550 then get the Q6600 if you go quad, or even check out AMD's Phenom II 940s they are pretty nice for the dollar too.

Quote: Kingfisher: Not everyone builds a PC so they can post on a forum that they own the highest 3dmark score.

I was not gloating on a forum about the i7. I just said it is the superior technology and in the future, it will matter as programmers start taking advantage of newer technology. I am a very humble person and am thankful for everything I have. I was just offering an alternative opinion, not a argument against yours. I love the e8400 and the q6600, cause Ive had both. I am just offering up my take on the i7 and its obvious superiority to older technology, reguardless of what you use it for. I am in no way trying to diss older models and if I offended anyone by what I said, I am sorry. Like I said, just my opinion. Im a technology freak and love playing with new toys.

fine get a q9450 like me. I'll duke it out with an i7!

and it's 1366 guys!! :lol:

if you are going to promote a technology, then know it's pin count lol.

I say if you can't afford the q9450/q9550 then get the Q6600 if you go quad, or even check out AMD's Phenom II 940s they are pretty nice for the dollar too.

I thought it was 1336 because it's one step away from 1337.