Red Light Woes (hd4850)

aviduser

Good news is, I successfully built my first rig. Wish I did it a while back.

Bad news is, my gc isn't responding. The card gives off a red led, which from my understanding means either faulty power supply, or overheating issues. I doubt the card would overheat straight from booting. That would mean its the power supply.

However, I've tested the power supply/molar cables used to power the fans and they are fine. Thinking there was a short in the system I dissassembled the computer and installed everything out of the case. No dice.

I've really run out of ideas. Normally I would RMA the card but sadly is has an aftermarket HSF and I tossed the stock HSF.

System specs are.

Phenom II 940

Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H

5 Gigs Ram

Corsair tx850 Psu

750GB Hitachi 7k1000

HD4850 w Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo

If I could afford it I would just go out and buy a gtx260. But sadly I can't as of right now.

*Note* When I power up the computer the fans do not spin, but when I shut down the system the fans spin briefly before losing power. The monitor displays no signal at any time.

My guess is it may be a short between the molex connector and the fans/4pin plug in on the gc.

Hopefully thats somewhat legible, I just want to get my new system up and running.

Any thoughts/advice is welcome, thanks.

Edited by aviduser

Good news is, I successfully built my first rig. Wish I did it a while back.

Bad news is, my gc isn't responding. The card gives off a red led, which from my understanding means either faulty power supply, or overheating issues. I doubt the card would overheat straight from booting. That would mean its the power supply.

However, I've tested the power supply/molar cables used to power the fans and they are fine. Thinking there was a short in the system I dissassembled the computer and installed everything out of the case. No dice.

I've really run out of ideas. Normally I would RMA the card but sadly is has an aftermarket HSF and I tossed the stock HSF.

System specs are.

Phenom II 940

Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H

5 Gigs Ram

Corsair tx850 Psu

750GB Hitachi 7k1000

HD4850 w Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo

If I could afford it I would just go out and buy a gtx260. But sadly I can't as of right now.

*Note* When I power up the computer the fans do not spin, but when I shut down the system the fans spin briefly before losing power. The monitor displays no signal at any time.

My guess is it may be a short between the molex connector and the fans/4pin plug in on the gc.

Hopefully thats somewhat legible, I just want to get my new system up and running.

Any thoughts/advice is welcome, thanks.

Are you using a 6 pin from your cable or the adapter that came with the card?

Does your system work or will it not post?

Are you sure you've connected everything correctly both to your MOBO and GPU?

Do you get ANY beeps when turning your system on? (and I'm not asking about you whispering Valentine's Day sweet nothing's to it).

So you get a red light on the 4850 card itself? Does the mobo have any LED's or light on it? Did you plug the ATX 12V (it's 8 pins) plug into the mobo along with the 20+4 pin main cable? The ATX 12V plug is located near the video out on the mobo.

Does the pc post when using the integrated video solution? Or can you not even get to the BIOS? Try removing the 4850 and see if you can post to the BIOS.

Edited by pkilway

Do you get ANY beeps when turning your system on? (and I'm not asking about you whispering Valentine's Day sweet nothing's to it).

So you get a red light on the 4850 card itself? Does the mobo have any LED's or light on it? Did you plug the ATX 12V (it's 8 pins) plug into the mobo along with the 20+4 pin main cable? The ATX 12V plug is located near the video out on the mobo.

Does the pc post when using the integrated video solution? Or can you not even get to the BIOS? Try removing the 4850 and see if you can post to the BIOS.

Didnt mention that the card/computer was fine for 1 day. I don't get any beeps while booting. I double checked all connections, I had integrated graphics disabled in BIOS. So I will try to reset the Cmos and use the on board video for now. Also, yes the red light is on the card itself, no lights on mobo.

Edited by aviduser