-50c Overclocking Need Help.

losmi8

hi,

i just attached my custom made phase change to the CPU. and i would like to push it to the limit. the plate is -52C, and the processor runs at around -30-40C. i have asus p4c800e deluxe, and intel p4 2.8 800fsb. i have 1gb pc4200. please let me know how to set up the setting to push this over 3.7ghz...because when i use 30%..there is no prob. and i only get 3.66...i want to reach 4ghz. if possible. please help. thanks.

milos

Wow...you should be able to hit 4ghz with that setup. You'll need to raise the Vcore very high, and possibly use the memory divider to keep the ram speed low enough if your fsb gets high enough. (you should be able to get 300+ fsb) Nuclear can give the best advice regarding p4 extreme overclocking...

Why do you have phase change cooling if you're new to overclocking? I wish that I had that kind of money to throw around!

Anyway, the memory divider is a way to keep memory speeds within the range that the memory can handle, while still allowing high fsb speeds on the processor. Basically, it just runs the memory at a certain fraction of the speed that the fsb is at. It's usually given as a ratio...simple math can give you the resulting speed from a particular fsb speed. All of the settings you'll mess with when overclocking are found in the bios.

Basically, just keep raising the fsb until the system becomes unstable. Then up the voltage until it becomes stable again, and repeat the process. When you hit 267fsb, go to the next memory divider because then the memory is at its maximum rated speed. You should be able to push the system VERY high...just be sure to keep the memory speeds in acceptable ranges or else the memory may cause instability instead of the processor. Having pc4200 ram will help a lot...that stuff must run at really loose timings though.

Nuclear, where are you? :lol:

yea definetly do it manually i have seen a p4 on a phase change go up to 5Ghz, i think it would be AWESOME if you could push it that far. not constantly, you know, just to run some benchmarks, or get a screenshop of CPUz like this one :D

Edited by Special_K

First off let me say...Welcome to Xtreme Cooling. Now...on to the fun stuff

It is possible for you to hit 4GHz on that 2.8, but I've only seen 1 CPU do it, and it was on a kamikaze run that resulted in diaster. If you want 4GHz, get a 3.0c or 3.2c. With a 2.8c, 3.7-3.8 is alot easier to attain, so we'll start there.

Make sure you have sealed and properly used some sort of sealing string and neoprene all around and behind the socket on your mobo. If you haven't done this, stop what your doing and do that first.

Now...My 2.8c would do 3.51 (250FSB) without any vcore changes. Set your divider to 5:4, lock your AGP/PCI settings, adjust your RAM to at least 2.8v (you'll need more later), turn off any unused items in BIOS and disable the last 2 settings in GAT. These settings alone should get you up to about a 240-245FSB easily. Once you hit a wall at that vcore, adjust it by no more than .25 at a time until it becomes stable again. Run Prime95 for at least 1HR before proceeding. Once it's passed Prime95, keep upping the FSB in small increments. NEVER take your vcore over 1.75V on prommie cooling, I would keep it around 1.65V if your gonna use it everyday at those speeds.

I hate to say this, but I bet that chip will max out at around 3.7GHz, regardless of the cooling. A 2.4c is the only P4 that can do a 1.2-1.3GHz OC and still be stable, your gonna need at least a 3.0GHz to even think about being stable at 4GHz w/ that chip.

One last thing...What kind of RAM, PSU, OS, and HDD are your running? The RAM is just as much responsible for high OCs as the CPU and cooling are. I hpe you don't have any CH-5 chips, if so, say hello to 250FSB and 3.51GHz!!

Hi sorry to tag onto this post, but I was wondering what my P4 2.4 Northwood 533fsb cpu should o/c too, using standard cooling, on a abit IS7e mobo, with 1gb PC3200 DDR ram..

So far I have done some playing and the most I could get to was 2.9ghz, but then as soon as windows booted it restarted..

I had it running at 2.65Ghz for a few hours with np's, but as soon as i tried to run PCBenchmark2002 on the 3rd test (cpu test) it closed the application..

So i got scared then, and reset everything to standard settings...

Ideally I wanted 3ghz from my cpu, but can't afford to kill it yet...

hey guys, sorry i didn't get back to ya sooner, but my hard drive is messed up and so is my video card. its alll messsed up, i dunno why. i was messing with FSB and VCORE only, since i am new to all this stuff, and at 270FSB (if i go 271 its unstable), and vcore 1.925 or 1.950, i dont remember, i was able to get 3822Mhz. and hyper threading was enabled. but it wasn't stable, at 30% overclock, i am running at 3.7Ghz, and my temperature when using it, is around -22C..i still can't play around with this, because i am having huuge problems with all the other stuff with my system. i had to reinstall win xp, and now my hard drive only shows 131GB, when its supposed to be 200GB..also, my video card won't work. and my hard drive is hooked up to SATA_RAID 1, and i would like to change it to RAID_1. does anyone know how I can like delete everything form my harddrive, and everything else, so it's like i just bought all the stuff, and i would like to hook it up to the motherboard again ? cuz everything is messed up.. let me know, i should prbly ask this on some other forum section, but i bet one of you guys would know.....

ps. im runnin at 3.7 now, but at the worst resolution, and only 256colors, cuz everything is messed up....

milos

EDIT: heres a pic of my system running at i think 10% OC...at 3Ghz....

temp is at -32C...considering i only paid $160 for this system, i think it is good, it aint no prometeia, but it aint no $1000+...

Edited by losmi8