stinkpot

Vmware And Fedora

I am in love with VMware Workstation because it gives me the ability to run an OS without interrupting my present OS. The only problem I have with it is that VMware do not recognize Fedora 7. It recognizes Ubuntu, but no Fedora 7. My Linux class is working with Fedora 7, and I would like to add to my my OS collection so I can be very familiar with the OS. Is there any way I can solve this issue?? Are there any Virtual Machine software out there in the market that is capable in running Fedora 7??

Edited by stinkpot

I am in love with VMware Workstation because it gives me the ability to run an OS without interrupting my present OS. The only problem I have with it is that VMware do not recognize Fedora 7. It recognizes Ubuntu, but no Fedora 7. My Linux class is working with Fedora 7, and I would like to add to my my OS collection so I can be very familiar with the OS. Is there any way I can solve this issue?? Are there any Virtual Machine software out there in the market that is capable in running Fedora 7??

you can just pick the generic linux 2.6 kernel(or which ever kernel, maybe 2.4, fedora 7 is) then point the cd to the iso for fedora, it should work.

Edited by mwillman

As mwillman stated you can select the generic Linux 2.6 option. In VMware Server 2, the option should read as Other 2.6x Linux (32-bit) or Other 2.6x Linux (64-bit). There are also a number of legit places available where you can download a Fedora VM already installed, you just have to go and configure a few things... but be careful if you go that route.

Also, keep in mind that you are using Fedora 7. The current version of Fedora is 10, while Fedora 11 is currently in the Alpha stage.

Are you running the newer Workstation 6.5? If you are worried about it correctly identifying your OS when pointing it to an iso or dvd install then don't be. I have yet to find an Linux distro that wouldn't run properly in a virtual machine. Installing VMware tools may be a little more involved, but certainly not hard. Feel free to PM me if you have any troubles or questions...I'm a VMware VCP (VMware Certified Professional) in both ESX 3.x and "4.x." I worked in the industry helping large corporations plan, implement, and maintain large scale virtual systems.

I just did a fedora VM install this week as well.

Are you using a mounted ISO to install it?

Let me give you the instructions from my VM lab.

Linux Administration Lab 1

Fedora Core 6 Workstation/Server Lab

Set up the Virtual Machine

1. Copy the Fedora Core 6 ISO from the ISO’s folder on the desktop of the host to your the ISO’s folder on your USB hard drive (create ISO’s folder if necessary)

2. Launch VMWare Workstation and create a “New Virtual Machine”

3. Be sure to choose CUSTOM for your Virtual Machine Configuration

4. Virtual machine hardware compatibility – Workstation 6

5. Guest Operating System – Linux – Red Hat Linux

6. Machine Name – whatever

7. Location – Wherever (create new folder)

8. Processors – One

9. Memory – 1GB

10. Network Connection – Bridged

11. I/O Adapter Types – default

12. Disk –Create a new virtual disk

13. Virtual Disk Type – IDE (Change—default is SCSI)

14. Disk Capacity – 8GB

15. Disk File – Linux <Finish>

16. Edit Virtual Machine Settings – CD-ROM – Use ISO image – location of your ISO

17. Start the Virtual Machine

Hopefully that helps gl!

I think the trick is that you have to mount the image after you created the Virtual machine. give it a shot. This is with Fedora 6 however, I have not tried it with 7 however it should still work for at least mounting the image.

Edited by greengiant912