Speaker Box Help!!

taznu

Have 2 Sony Explod 10" subs that have been in storage for awhile...Dused them off and now want to install into my project 4x4, BUT no more paper work on air dimensons for a speaker box build...Does any one have this valuable knowledge to share?!!...Box is going to be custom, (going into older model single cab) but want them to sound good...Any suggestions on sealed or ported box?...Any info or advice will be greatly appreciated...Thanx, TAZ

It depends on what model he has as well. Quite a few of the Xplod series really aren't suited to working in a ported box at all (they work, they just sound like poo).

The single 10" is good for rock, but don't expect much if you listen to music you'd expect to have heavy bass e.g. techno, or *blech* rap.

The size of the driver has absolutely nothing to do with what music it will sound good with. The box and driver design almost entirely govern that.

I've only ever heard a couple ported boxes that sounded good in a vehicle. Best bet is to seal it, regardless of subwoofer type or style of music you like, in my opinion. For a 10" woofer, a safe bet would be 1 cubic foot. Generally speaking, the larger the box, the deeper the sound will be, but also the more power you will probably need.

Edited by Fight Game

Generally speaking, the larger the box, the deeper the sound will be, but also the more power you will probably need.

It's actually opposite of that. :P Larger box == less power needed. You just run into the mechanical limits of the sub a lot faster.

Without knowing what sub he has though all of this discussion is kinda pointless. :P

To be perfectly honest the "manufacturer recommended" enclosures are almost always designed badly (especially the ported ones).

You are correct, however they do state in a round about way what size it should be. You do not have to use their design, just the information.

You are correct, however they do state in a round about way what size it should be. You do not have to use their design, just the information.

That's exactly what I'm saying is incorrect. The dimensions don't matter, the airspace and tuning (in a ported design) do. The ported boxes are almost always undersized with too little port area. The sealed designs are usually extremely over-damped which is absolutely horrid for even halfway decent sound quality.