E6850 --> Q9x50

Hi Guys,

I am looking to upgrade from my E6850 to a Quad core. Was looking at either the Q9450 or Q9550.

Couple of questions:

Do the Q9xxx over clock well? I would want to get it running at at LEAST 3.0Ghz.

Stock-for-Stock, how does the Quad compare to my Duo?

I am aiming to build another rig, and all I need for it is a CPU. Now instead of buying another Duo for it, I figured may aswell upgrade my rig to Quad, and put my Duo to use.

Keeping that in mind, would this be a worthwhile move?

Also, how much is the cache worth? I noticed that the Q9400 is cheaper, but only has half the cache.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ordered a Q9550.

My board can apparently do 1600 FSB, so technically if I can take the core clock from 333 --> 400, the board and ram would still be running stock, while the CPU would be OC'ed 20%.

As long as I can hit 3.0Ghz ill be happy. 3.2 would be nice, and 3.4 awesome! :D

You obviously haven't seen much about Q9550s. You can easily hit 3.8 24/7 stable on it with a little VCore bump. It can most likely hit 3.4 by just upping the FSB. I have my Q9450 running at 450x8=3.6 at 1.296V in CPU-z, 1.34375 in BIOS... Put a nice cooler on there, and it will fly!

As long as I can hit 3.0Ghz ill be happy. 3.2 would be nice, and 3.4 awesome! :D

I just noticed you said you'd be happy with 3.0... Stock is 2.83... I'm POSITIVE that ANY chip can OC AT LEAST 0.17 GHz. You can easily get almost another full GHz out of it.

i've been seriously thinkikng about getting one to replace my E8500 but i just canot make up my mind. i know it prob wont oc as high as my dual core but i just want a quad so bad. i think it would help my 3dmark scores

I'd go for it if you can still get a decent offering when you sell your E8500.