Can It Be Saved?

I was updating everything on my rig (seeing how there was SOME bugs still) would update one and restart and once i got to doing the BIOS update for my MOBO - it totally shutted down on me.. Now I have did the quick CMOS reset and also pulled the circuit but no use - this screen keeps comming up and I can't get around it. But would really like to just fix it and be done.

post-28047-1233896294_thumb.jpg

anyone help? if this MOBO is toast - any suggestions on a new one because i'm getting sick of this abit board

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Honestly, it's probably hosed. Looks like a bad BIOS flash and your story supports that. Like Kingfisher said, you could try to get a BIOS chip to swap in, but realistically you're probably just going to need a new board.

As for suggestions for new boards, it'd help quite a bit if you told us what the rest of your system is. We can't get too far without knowing that.

You don't necessarily need a new chip - try copying a BIOS file (make sure it supports your CPU!) to a floppy drive and reboot. It should recognize the BIOS file and reprogram - it looks similar to the Asus boards that do the same this. This saved my . at least once ;)

Just make sure you've got a internal FDD

Honestly, it's probably hosed. Looks like a bad BIOS flash and your story supports that. Like Kingfisher said, you could try to get a BIOS chip to swap in, but realistically you're probably just going to need a new board.

As for suggestions for new boards, it'd help quite a bit if you told us what the rest of your system is. We can't get too far without knowing that.

thanks guys for the reply - i figured i probably toasted it, but YES i will try what you said error 404. (dont have a floppy drive so I hope a USB flash drive will work)

besides that, wasnt really an expensive board.

here is my setup right now

Monitor - Samsung 305T

Case - Antec Nine hundred

MOBO - Abit IN9 32X-MAX

CPU - Intel Q6600 G0

PSU - PC power & Cooling Quad 750

RAM - G.SKill 4GB(2x2gb) DDR2 800

HD(RAID 0) - [2x] WD raptors 150GB 10K RPM's

GPU - [2x] EVGA 8800 GT SLi's

and i guess if i get a new mobo i will need to re-install vista? (sorry, first time murdering a MOBO)

if so, then it will probably be installing vista 64-bit once again

Edited by Vermino

thanks guys for the reply - i figured i probably toasted it, but YES i will try what you said error 404. (dont have a floppy drive so I hope a USB flash drive will work)

besides that, wasnt really an expensive board.

here is my setup right now

Monitor - Samsung 305T

Case - Antec Nine hundred

MOBO - Abit IN9 32X-MAX

CPU - Intel Q6600 G0

PSU - PC power & Cooling Quad 750

RAM - G.SKill 4GB(2x2gb) DDR2 800

HD(RAID 0) - [2x] WD raptors 150GB 10K RPM's

GPU - [2x] EVGA 8800 GT SLi's

and i guess if i get a new mobo i will need to re-install vista? (sorry, first time murdering a MOBO)

if so, then it will probably be installing vista 64-bit once again

Unless you get the same motherboard then yes you will need to reinstall vista. You may even be able to get by if you get the same chipset.

Unless you get the same motherboard then yes you will need to reinstall vista. You may even be able to get by if you get the same chipset.

ehh if im pulling it out - better just upgrade it.

I was looking at - ASUS Striker II Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

but for some reason, MOBO's have been hard for me to find reviews or refferals..

Can you even get into the BIOS? That board would auto recover per say. Make sure you have a bootable floppy in the drive you you can get to a dos prompt. Put AFUDOS on a second floppy as well as the BIOS file making sure the name is correct and try re flashing.

Can you even get into the BIOS? That board would auto recover per say. Make sure you have a bootable floppy in the drive you you can get to a dos prompt. Put AFUDOS on a second floppy as well as the BIOS file making sure the name is correct and try re flashing.

nope - no BIOS.. that screenshot is the FIRST thing that pop-ups when i start up the rig.. the only thing i can try is a USB flash drive with BIOS on it. But if i can't even get to BIOS i don't think it will realize it. *sighs* i would call ABIT USA but they dont asnwer and when i leave my name and phone number - they NEVER call..

went out to bit up a floppy drive - installed it and now at the screen "press enter" haha - you wonder why when you buy any new keyboard you still get that green adapter - this would be it..Yet lost mine and cant press enter. So tomorrow i'm hitting up best buy to pick one up real quick and hope for the best.

on the other note - when i unzipp the BIOS data from the website, i just copy and paste all the files into floppy right? (some bootup's need a file name like a PSP)

(list of files)

ABITFAE

awdflash

M622A_10

M622A_10

RUNME