Sign in to follow this  
aviduser

Phenom Ii 940 Compatible With Hp Mobo?

Hey everyone, this is my first post here.

A month ago I bought a HP m8530f, (boxing day impulse buy). But soon after I started getting into gaming more and reading about overclocking and benchmarking. I quickly realized how limiting the computer and name brand computers are. So I'm interested in upgrading my computer. The thing is I'd like to spread it out a bit, instead of just buying a whole new system for another $600.

So after a lot of thinking I would like to buy a Phenom II 940 BE processor and drop it into my current mobo (Asus m2n78-La). That way my hd4850 won't be so bottlenecked. Plus I'm hoping I won't have to buy a new copy of vista. Later on I would like upgrade my Mobo/Ram/Psu/Case for Overclocking.

My current specs are:

Phenom 9550 (2.2 Ghz)

Asus m2n78-La (Hp) Mobo

5 gigs ram (stock)

BFG 550gs Psu

Hd4850

Vista 64 bit

Sorry for the length but just wanted to get everyones thoughts, I've googled the mobo and can't find anything saying the mobo will support the Phenom II, but seeing as they made the processor to be an easy upgrade I think (hope) it will.

Edit: If this will work maybe ill just get a new gtx280 instead of overclocking the phenom II, methinks that'll make a bigger difference for gaming.

Edited by aviduser

This (very first link on google... <_< ) says the mobo has an AM2+ socket, and that's the socket the Phenom IIs use, so i'd be willing to say it should work. The only problem is that the brand name computers almost always have a locked bios, where you can only change a very limited number of options. (overclocking usually falls into the options that you can't change.)

also, 5GB of RAM? does it have 2x2GB sticks and an extra 1GB thrown in or something? seems odd. but whatever.

This (very first link on google... <_< ) says the mobo has an AM2+ socket, and that's the socket the Phenom IIs use, so i'd be willing to say it should work. The only problem is that the brand name computers almost always have a locked bios, where you can only change a very limited number of options. (overclocking usually falls into the options that you can't change.)

also, 5GB of RAM? does it have 2x2GB sticks and an extra 1GB thrown in or something? seems odd. but whatever.

Oh, I'm very aware that the mobo won't overclock, and that it is an am2+ socket. I was just looking for more solid evidence that it supports the phenom II. If I'm going to overclock I'll be buying a new motherboard of course. The ram is 1gb x 3, 2gb x 1, which is stock.

EDIT: Bah! just realized when I was looking at compatible mobos they were for the am3 proccessors, all this researching and pricing for a new system has scrambled my brain. But I think I've found my best option for now, as long as I wont need to upgrade my OEM vista, I think I'm good to go...

Edited by aviduser

Guest ajmatson

I have done some research and cannot find anywhere that says yes or no definitively. As far as I am aware only certain chipsets support the Phenom II series with a BIOS update. (The 790GX and 790FX so far are the chipsets I am aware of that support them). I would contact ASUS to see if there is an update for the board that might support it since the board design is for HP computers and not the DIY market.

At this time it would be a good idea to by the Phenom II as well as a new Motherboard. Reason being that it will support all your current components and allow you to start overclocking that CPU right off the bat. Also the 790FX chipset are tested, reliable boards. They have been out awhile.

The New AM3 will be a brand new release that maybe good or bad at release. You may want to be a Guineapig for the new launch, I just don't recommend it. AMD as well as Intel have both had their troubles with instability on what they thought would be the next best setup to date.

Video cards are pretty good upgrades for gaming but since you said you wanted to upgrade gradually, go ahead and start out with your the main bottleneck. The CPU and Moherboard. Video cards will go on dropping in price in the mean time.

With all that said, it would be a good idea to:

1( Get the processor and motherboard together

2( upgrade gradually as planned

3( Give us regular updates on OC'ing your Phenom II

Well, I found out the hard way, the answer is no. This just got a lot more expensive than I expected.

Antec 300 - $65

Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H - $160

Vista 64 home Premium - $140

Freezer 7 Pro $22

Total + Tax = $442 CAD

Might just get the Mobo + OS for now, Perhaps butcher my stock case for more airflow :P

Edited by aviduser