Any Other Military Folk Here?

Kamikaze_Badger

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_medic

Today, medics usually do carry weapons (see above article "Weapons") and do not wear Red Crosses like beforehand in World War II and such, mainly because the Geneva Convention's protection is not recognized in areas of operations commonly served in.

makes sence considering most of our current enemies don't follow the LOAC anyways...

Found this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_medic

makes sence considering most of our current enemies don't follow the LOAC anyways...

You mean them terrorists don't abide by that thar' G'neever Kunvention?

I'm sure there's a paragraph in there somewhere that talks about how you aren't supposed to decapitate noncombatants, burn their bodies, and hang them from bridges... but I don't keep up with the goings on of the world court so I'unno.

My plans with the navy fell through. I ended up going Army. My MOS is 25F Network switching systems operator/maintainer. I ship to basic (ft benning) May 19th.

Wow, Benning sucks (just as bad as Parris Island that time of the year). I thought only infantry went through basic down at Benning. Are you sure it's not Ft Jackson (South Carolina) instead? I just got out of the Marine Corps though, so I'm probably wrong.

As for medics not being armed and whatnot - the corpsmen who would go on patrols and missions with us usually carried (at minimum) an M4 with 180-210 rounds and an M9, plus all of their extra crap. I'm sure Army medics are the same way, especially in today's conflicts.

Reading more, it seems we do. All we've gotten to qualify with is the M9, sadly.

I'm sure you'll get issued at least an M16A4 if you get to go play in the sandbox or Afghanistan. That's how it went for our corpsmen on my first deployment in 2005; they usually had M9s in the states and got issued A4s/M4s the night we left for our flight over. Even in our infantry battalion, they usually carried more than any single marine.

National Guard/142nd Field Artillery Brigade/aka Razorback Redlegs

Only active combat duty was in 1991 from January through September of that year stationed in Saudi Arabia during Desert Storm.

The Guard is a different experience. We didn't travel much except for training and war.

Not sure I'd do it again. 1991 sucked.

Wow, Benning sucks (just as bad as Parris Island that time of the year). I thought only infantry went through basic down at Benning. Are you sure it's not Ft Jackson (South Carolina) instead? I just got out of the Marine Corps though, so I'm probably wrong.

As for medics not being armed and whatnot - the corpsmen who would go on patrols and missions with us usually carried (at minimum) an M4 with 180-210 rounds and an M9, plus all of their extra crap. I'm sure Army medics are the same way, especially in today's conflicts.

yeah im positive, says it right on my contract. I go to ft Gordon for AIT.