Relieved

So i woke up this morning, turned on the PC, loaded into windows and it hangs, i manually restart and it does the same thing, i get frustrated and clear the cmos then it goes into a neverending POST cycle and never boots

So i take the side off the case and i screamed, my waterblock was leaking all over the place and a little puddle of UV red liquid was forming on the back of my video, i immediatly grab paper towel take the cords out of the pc and in what felt like a record time for taking a CPU waterblock off, i took it off

I let the paper towel soakup all the liquid and there was alot, on the mobo, the chipset heatsink, the video card

I put the stock cooling back on and powered up and i write to you guys now from my unharmed PC :)

So i thought this would be a great opportunity to hear other people's liquid cooling disaster stories

So how about it guys, what have been some of your cooling problems?

Edited by Whatislove

These aren't liquid cooling disasters but I've had a few air cooling ones.

When I first built my 2500+ system (way back in the day) I had to use the stock cooler because the one I ordered (volcano 7+) hadn't arrived yet. I used the stock cooler/wax pad when building it. When I powered it up, it shut down about 5 seconds later. I had took the board out of the case and the whole nine yards. After doing this 5 second shutdown about 10 times I decided to take out the cpu and try a buddies only to find out that the paraffin wax on the bottom of the cooler hadn't even been touched. I found out that the default shutdown temp for the board was 110C!!! Yes, this cpu reached 110C around 10 times! This was around 6 years ago, I still have that entire machine and it still gets used on a regular basis.

The other one, was about 3 or 4 years ago. I had just ordered a zalman CNPS7000-Cu cooler for it (3200+ venice)and it had been installed for about 2 weeks. I came home one day from work and noticed that my machine was off. After getting into an argument with my sister asking if she had been on it she swore she hadnt been... I decided to turn it on only for it to BSOD at the windows splash screen then shut off about 2 seconds later. At this point I swore up and down someone had been on it. I powered it up again only for it to do the same thing. I decided to check the bios just for kicks (don't know why), and it shut down while I was in bios. I thought, OK time to crack open the case. Cracked it open and my eyes got huge as I realized that the cooler had fallen half way off. Apparently one of the 2 screws that held it down had been defective from the factory and was stripped out, I didn't notice this when I put it together as it had went in fine. I sold that machine about 2 and a half years ago and its still running fine to this day also.

I remember once I was putting my tubing back on my laing d5 (5/16 tubes) and I used a bit of soap to lube them up a bit since they are super hard to get onto that pump. I fill the system, and the whole thing foams! I barely put a drop of soap and my whole loop foamed. Had to take everything apart, flush it completely and do it over with no soap. Was hard as hell...

It is truly amazing to me how such intricate electronic components can take such abuse. I have had similar things happen to me, but I won't share them.

i know i couldnt believe everything was ok, there were literally puddles of liquid on my video card lol

Two years back my reservoir was cracked and I didn't notice it for at least a few months. I was rather fortunate that the only thing the leak was remotely close to was the hard drive. It pretty much just ran down the side though so it wasn't a big deal. For those who wonder how it took me so long to notice: the crack was so tiny and the amount of water seeping through was so little that it probably amounted to a tablespoon of it over the course of a month or two. Near the end it got real nasty though, and that was when I noticed it. Thank god it was ok cause I most certainly could not have afforded a new computer.

Looking at those pics, I'm astounded that people install it before leak testing. When I built mine, I measured everything out and tested outside my case. Took a few days to finally figure out I forgot to put enough teflon tape on one of my reservoir barbs.

EDIT: someone forgot hose clamps. They deserve ruining their computer.

I remember once I was putting my tubing back on my laing d5 (5/16 tubes) and I used a bit of soap to lube them up a bit since they are super hard to get onto that pump. I fill the system, and the whole thing foams! I barely put a drop of soap and my whole loop foamed. Had to take everything apart, flush it completely and do it over with no soap. Was hard as hell...

This is exactly why you shouldn't use soap on the tubing to make it slide over the fittings. What you should be doing is boiling a pot of water, then dip the end of the tubing into the water. This softens the end of the tubing up making it easy to slide over the fittings.

Your components were fine because you bought non-conductive liquid to use in your loop... the same disaster with distilled water and you'd be browsing newegg with a cup of coffee in a cafe somewhere right now :)

I had a similar thing happen not long ago... but I too was lucky to be using non-conductive liquid... whoever though of the stuff deserves a medal... or at least some cookies.