kage

Manually Configure Ip By Whats Available

im looking for some way to assign ip's or my ip manually based on whats available on the network. what i mean is when joining a specific network, just grab some random ip in a specific range and aslong as that ip is not in use on the network then use it. im not sure if i am making my self clear, if not just let me know. the network im talking about does have DHCP in play, but i dont want to use it... what im doing now is just setting my ip manually but eventualy that ip gets used by the DHCP and i have a conflict, i would just like every time i connect to this network for my computer to take an ip make sure its not in use, and use it ....

hope someone has some suggestions?!

thanks!

Why don't you just use DHCP?? That is the whole point of it...

If you set your IP manually on network that is DHCP'ed, unless your IP is in an exception area you'll almost always run into issues with duplicate IP assignments.

well, lets just say i don't want to use DHCP, this isn't a network i administrate and i dont want the DHCP server assigning my ip. it assigns me into a subnet i don't want to be in

If you don't administer the network then this may not be possible. Most DHCP servers have the ability to reserve a block of IP addresses. So, for example, you could have the DHCP reserve addresses from x.x.x.2 - x.x.x.50 and begin serving addresses at x.x.x.51. That would leave you a block of addresses to use without having a conflict. Of course, anyone else could use addresses in the reserved block as well.

Or perhaps there is some information of use in this article - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/220874

well, lets just say i don't want to use DHCP, this isn't a network i administrate and i dont want the DHCP server assigning my ip. it assigns me into a subnet i don't want to be in

I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish.

If DHCP was giving you an address that you didn't want, and you then manually set you ip address to a different range that you have decided is good for you for whatever reason, then how can you be getting duplicate ip addresses? That would only happen if you were using an address within the scope of the DHCP server.

It might be easier for people to help if you actually explained the situation. What is the purpose of this and what type of network is it, is the DHCP device a simple router or is it a server?

I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. If DHCP was giving you an address that you didn't want, and you then manually set you ip address to a different range that you have decided is good for you for whatever reason, then how can you be getting duplicate ip addresses? That would only happen if you were using an address within the scope of the DHCP server. It might be easier for people to help if you actually explained the situation. What is the purpose of this and what type of network is it, is the DHCP device a simple router or is it a server?

the network im on uses a captive portal which decides based on some criteria what subnet to assign you too, different subnets have different access to different resources. using DHCP i get assigned to one i don't want to be in... so i simply manually configure myself an ip within the one i want to be in, the ip is within the scope of the DHCP server so thats my entire problem... it usually works fine for about a week or two then that ip gets assigned by the server to someone else. what i've been trying to do is just specify a range or a subnet or whatever and my computer just try an ip at random, if it is in use, try another until it gets one not conflicting. i actualy have a crappy little java program that does this... its just not very pretty

You're going about this entirely the wrong way. Just email your network admin and get switched into the different group (assuming you have a legitimate reason to do so).

Grabbing IPs within the scope of a DHCP server is a great way to incur the wrath of the admins.

Go with the kid's suggestion, as long as your not trying to get to things they don't want you to the admin can create a reservation or however they want to work it.

You're going about this entirely the wrong way. Just email your network admin and get switched into the different group (assuming you have a legitimate reason to do so).

Grabbing IPs within the scope of a DHCP server is a great way to incur the wrath of the admins.

Yes .....or you can just find the portion of the scope that is for sevrers and use that as 99.99% of net admins will leave 2-3 IP's open in the static scope just in case they need a quick connection or have to bring something up with out reconfiguring the DHCP server.....

But honestly, they are going to see you right away, and from what you are saying about already having IP clashes they probably already have your MAC and are keeping an eye on you as is. Most people would rather piss off the mob than their resident network admin, as most net admins have a high sense of practical-joke-ism and are prone to messing with people whatever chance they can get.....*points to self* :)