Sign in to follow this  
OtisN89

Budget Laptop

I'm in the market for a new laptop and was looking for some advice. I came here because I was on DIY Street a while ago (was a member when it was DFI support) and liked the community there; wanted to go back but found that they have integrated here, where I already had an account but never really visited. But back to the point.

Want to get a laptop and not spend a lot of money. I currently have a rig with a 3800X2, 1GB of RAM, and a 7900GT on a DFI SLI-DR. This system is still good enough for me, but I want portability for school. So I'll be happy with something comparable in performance, or hopefully slightly better. The most hardware intensive program I run is probably VMWare (running Virtual Machines for school). I'd like to be able to play some games but don't need the best. I play Age of Empires III and that's about it.

So far, in my limited searching, I've found this to be the seemingly best option: Battalion 101 CX-5 II

http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=371

So, opinions on the CX-5, will it meet my needs, suggestions for other options?

I'm in the market for a new laptop and was looking for some advice. I came here because I was on DIY Street a while ago (was a member when it was DFI support) and liked the community there; wanted to go back but found that they have integrated here, where I already had an account but never really visited. But back to the point.

Want to get a laptop and not spend a lot of money. I currently have a rig with a 3800X2, 1GB of RAM, and a 7900GT on a DFI SLI-DR. This system is still good enough for me, but I want portability for school. So I'll be happy with something comparable in performance, or hopefully slightly better. The most hardware intensive program I run is probably VMWare (running Virtual Machines for school). I'd like to be able to play some games but don't need the best. I play Age of Empires III and that's about it.

So far, in my limited searching, I've found this to be the seemingly best option: Battalion 101 CX-5 II

http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=371

So, opinions on the CX-5, will it meet my needs, suggestions for other options?

I was going to recommend Sager notebooks, but some of ibuypower's laptops are the same as Sager's. That's a good choice! I love my Sager! But i must also warn you that the 8400gs is a horrible graphics card. (ranks weaker than ati 9800pro)

what's your maximum budget, I will help you find the perfect laptop!

I was going to recommend Sager notebooks, but some of ibuypower's laptops are the same as Sager's. That's a good choice! I love my Sager! But i must also warn you that the 8400gs is a horrible graphics card. (ranks weaker than ati 9800pro)

what's your maximum budget, I will help you find the perfect laptop!

I can spend $700 max. Like absolutely max.

So looking at Sager I could afford this one:

http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=144485

Its about the same as the one from iBuyPower, a weaker processor(which $50 could solve, but I really don't want to spend more than I have to), but a few nicer features: larger screen, HDMI. How is the Intel

I can spend $700 max. Like absolutely max.

So looking at Sager I could afford this one:

http://www.sagernotebook.com/product_customed.php?pid=144485

Its about the same as the one from iBuyPower, a weaker processor(which $50 could solve, but I really don't want to spend more than I have to), but a few nicer features: larger screen, HDMI. How is the Intel

Thanks for the link, I was looking for something like that but couldn't find it. It shows that the Intel 4500 is worse than the 8400GS.

So, the Sager is $40 more, for a larger screen and less graphics capability. I think I'll be going with iBuyPower but I'm not sure yet.

Thanks for the link, I was looking for something like that but couldn't find it. It shows that the Intel 4500 is worse than the 8400GS.

So, the Sager is $40 more, for a larger screen and less graphics capability. I think I'll be going with iBuyPower but I'm not sure yet.

i'd try to get a laptop with either a 8600gt m or 9600 gt m. They are pretty capable graphics cards, I am running 1680x1050 resolution on my Sager and my 9600gt runs games quite well with it. Of course you can select a laptop with an AMD/ATI card that performs equally well if the computer you are looking at has one of them. That list of mobile graphics cards has been bookmarked since I don't know how I found it, all I know is that it's amazing. Post up some more potential buys and I'll help ya pick the best one. Remember though, when building a laptop the CPU, graphics card, and monitor resolution are decisions that will always stick with you over the lifetime of the laptop since you can't change them *easily*. Sometimes you can get laptop harddrives or laptop memory cheaper than a manufacturer will offer for an upgrade package. (often nice upgrade components offered on ebay or an online retailer)

Thanks for your advice, IVIYTHOS. But price was the main factor here, and I don't need 9600 anyway. I ordered the CX-5 from iBuyPower, I think I'll be happy with it.

Thanks for your advice, IVIYTHOS. But price was the main factor here, and I don't need 9600 anyway. I ordered the CX-5 from iBuyPower, I think I'll be happy with it.

alrighty, glad to of helped. The 8400 is ok then...just not one of my favorite's lol. It's hit or miss with gaming performance.

Hit or miss? Based on what? Individual games? I saw quite a variance in 3DMark scores, but figured it was due to the rest of the system. (CPUs most likely.) Is that what you mean?

But I don't play many games anyway, I'm sure it will be sufficient.

Edited by OtisN89

Hit or miss? Based on what? Individual games? I saw quite a variance in 3DMark scores, but figured it was due to the rest of the system. (CPUs most likely.) Is that what you mean?

But I don't play many games anyway, I'm sure it will be sufficient.

it's literal graphic power is equal to about a 9800pro radeon from the stone ages, but some games can still be played decently if you the graphics to an absolute low.